1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Restricting Content = More Members

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Webby, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Webby

Webby Member

Does restricting things like images posted on the forum to only members lead to more people signing up?

2. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

You'll probably get a lot of different opinions but I run wide open. Images, file attachments and resources are free to guests without login.

If I'm looking for something and run into a login screen before I can access the content, I hit back and keep searching. My other thought was why make someone register just to see an image or grab a file when the majority of them will never come back anyway.

Webby likes this.
  3. Optic

Optic Well-Known Member

Depends on your community/niche..

I don't restrict images for guests because a lot of our visitors come in from Google and Google Image search. If you restrict content for guests, Google can't index it.

Webby likes this.
  4. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    Webby likes this.
  5. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

I only limit attachment, bbcode html/php/code, spoiler, and links from guest :).

Webby likes this.
  6. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

You allow guest posts? I figured that would be a spam headache

7. RoldanLT

No, I mean I restrict those content from guest.

melbo likes this.
  8. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

What does a guest on your forum see when viewing a post with bbcode? Blank space or unparsed : ) symbols?

9. RoldanLT

10. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

Oh got it. Your pretty restrictive to guests.

11. drastic

drastic Well-Known Member

I find myself using your ideas a lot, as they always seem to be awesome!!

TH may want to hook you up with credit for this future sale!

Mouth likes this.
  12. RoldanLT

The Forum Heroes likes this.
  13. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agreed with past feedback that TH shouldn't have but a price on add-ons they have not yet developed or fixed.
    I guess it's worth as much as people are willing to pay. $10 for this add-on would be a good ROI for me, if I was looking for it now.

The Forum Heroes likes this.
  14. Webby

Webby Member

15. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Webby and RoldanLT like this.
  16. jauburn

jauburn Well-Known Member

I support this approach. If someone wants to contribute, they'll sign up and do so.

Webby and melbo like this.
  17. Webby

Webby Member

Yeah no point of having people who just want to look at a picture or read some content.

18. jauburn

jauburn Well-Known Member

Unless there's value to you in adding someone to your list of email address (which can be valuable) in terms of getting traffic to your site when you send out newsletters, etc.

Webby likes this.
  19. Webby

Webby Member

How do you use newsletters? What are some of your strategies? I am having a tough time getting members to participate in my forum
    https://www.americanmilitaryforum.com/forums/

20. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

It's a numbers game. Say for every 10000 visitors you get 5 signups, 1 single post member and .5 two post members. Whatever the numbers are, I like to widen my net by allowing guests to see everything with the idea that they'll like what they see and decide to join. A member who joins for the sole purpose of doing 1 thing and then leaving isn't worth anything to me. (I don't do newsletters).

Not that my strategy is the right one, I just open my board up to how I like to search the web for things. I find that when I hit a paywall, full page ad or blocked content requiring a login, I hit back and keep searching no matter how great the site may be underneath the barrier.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Dadparvar likes this.