Does It have the Look

abvolt

Sorry but looks are one of the first things people notice when visiting a website and this one needs a lot of work, The look and feel of a board can make it work this one needs skins, Themes how will this be addressed.

Regarding the original topic, I had an interesting experience today: I gave a copy of vB 3.8 to a board I like because they were using a medieval forum system, and I was helping with the style. Keeping in mind that my styles are already way more minimalistic than most (except that I do like my white space) - these were the requests from the board members:

- take the awards off the postbit (!)
- a way smaller image on the header (ultimately, 100 px was acceptable)
- text instead of graphics for titles like Staff and Moderator
- way less white space - practically none, really
- and, they were happy to get rid of the post count in exchange for a smaller username area

Overall, every single request involved shrinking the style, rather than making it 'prettier.'

I just discovered (thanks to a posting by Feldon over at vbulletin.com) the following screenshots:

settings.webp redtheme.webp memberprofile.webp forumdisplay.webp activitystream.webp showthread.webp

Apparently these were new designs for vBulletin, but won't be used. When I saw these the first time this week I was like... my dear why-o-why didn't they implement this in their product? These are 200% better then the current horrific vBulletin 4.x style.

I really like this design. Gives the product a much more stronger look&feel and apparrently they are working on even better ones for a future release. I just post this as a comparison to the current XenForo style. The current vBulletin style can not come close to XF's excellence in UI/UX in any single way. What I love about XF is the strength of the UI/UX design and the horrendous vBulletin 4 style was one of the reasons that drove me away from that package.

I just discovered (thanks to a posting by Feldon over at vbulletin.com) the following screenshots:

View attachment 6912 View attachment 6911 View attachment 6910 View attachment 6909 View attachment 6908 View attachment 6907

Apparently these were new designs for vBulletin, but won't be used. When I saw these the first time this week I was like... my dear why-o-why didn't they implement this in their product? These are 200% better then the current horrific vBulletin 4.x style.

I really like this design. Gives the product a much more stronger look&feel and apparrently they are working on even better ones for a future release. I just post this as a comparison to the current XenForo style. The current vBulletin style can not come close to XF's excellence in UI/UX in any single way. What I love about XF is the strength of the UI/UX design and the horrendous vBulletin 4 style was one of the reasons that drove me away from that package.

Could you please link to the post over at vbulletin.com?

The concepts will not be pursued with regards to grovers posting of the "what could have been" screenshots. In other words, vbulletin have no plans in implementing this which has been stated numerous times by their staff. Pity, and as grover said, the design, look feel of the screenshots alone would have got a good reception. No point in hoping and getting those hopes raised and then to be disappointed again.

Facebook actually has not a very good UI in several areas in my opinion.

To get back on this off-topic subject matter ;)... might be interesting to mention that Facebook recently introduced a new profile design:
http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=462201327130

I just checked some switched profiles out and I am not sure what to think of it. That I am not the only one you can see by just reading the overall negative comments by Facebook users in that blog. Interesting to find out how it all will turn out in the coming months.

Top Bottom