1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Domain Name Matter?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by billybatz9, Apr 11, 2014.

1. billybatz9

billybatz9 Active Member

I was wondering if the domain name matters for seo and other purposes? Right now, I have a name that will not rank for any keyword, so I was thinking about changing it. What do you guys think?

2. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Well... if your domain name is ilovebacon.com and you've got a site about shire horses.... then yeah I'd say it matters a lot.

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can make bacon from shire horses...

JVCode, wedgar, Amaury and 2 others like this.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

... but you wouldn't want to. :barefoot:

5. petertdavis

petertdavis Well-Known Member

Some domains can be penalized by Google even before you buy them. Perhaps it was once owned by a spammer. Or, if a "domainer" owned it and parked it on a domain parking page, Google has a special penalty for such domains. You should investigate the history of the domain and if you're not the first owner of the domain you can bet there was a pre-existing penalty preventing you from ranking.

JVCode likes this.
  6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You didn't read the news last year then :D

Lisa likes this.
  7. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Over here we have the USDA to prevent that kind of stuff. If something like that happened in the US you'd be hearing about lawsuits for the next 10 years.

8. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

What's the name in question? Is it just some random fabricated name or a real name/phrase but doesn't have anything to do with your subject matter.

9. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

Horse actually tastes pretty good, depending on how it's prepared.

euantor likes this.
  10. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Whether it tastes good or not is not the issue, eating/buying beef and getting horse instead is.

11. Noles

Noles Member

It definitely matters

12. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I actually meant to respond to the horse bacon post, not that one :x.