Does anyone use VPN's for .....

EQnoble

I am a huge fan of VPN's, they are great. I use them for fileshares without a middleman and to allow read access to specific folders that my extended network users may need when I am not at the keyboard. I also use them to tunnel people into my network so we can play lan games on console systems without a gaming tunnel software and without getting everyone one I know banned for modding on XBL. This allows us limitless fun without banning, (snipers that shoot napalm grenades are awesome...too bad MS doesn't think so.

Back to pc we also use them to collaborate on projects with a pc on my network acting like a centerpoint to keep each other current on our work.

I was wondering what other uses for vpn other members here might be utilizing and what their experience is with it. I also would like any tips, notes, or relevant information on the subject that anyone can offer.

I use VPN back to my home network for my iPad. Then I can RDP to my desktop and work around the "no flash" thing on Safari on iPad/iPhone.

I use VPN back to my home network for my iPad. Then I can RDP to my desktop and work around the "no flash" thing on Safari on iPad/iPhone.

Yeah that's a good one there, I never used an iDevice with VPN (that I remember) as a workaround for that I actually used VNC to do that which also doubles as a nice touchscreen remote from bed if you use your pc as a media center or a junction point for your cable box ( which I have an app for my cable boxes to set recordings and change channels and such ) so you don't have to move out of bed once you quit out on the world for the night (or day if that's when you sleep )

Speaking of the no flash , there was a web app that allowed you to open links to flashed based videos on your iphone/ipod/ipad that acts as a intermediary between your iThing and the data source. I'm not sure if apple got it pwned before the whole court ruling on jailbreaking though.

If you have videos on your pc and want to stream them to your i* you should try airvideo... it pretty much can open any non 1080 video (I forget exactly which formats and containers but you can see it at their site) and when you click play it re encodes the video on the fly keeping the original intact. Videos of proper formats lights up the option to stream directly with no encode. I have tested this on a craptastic connection as well as on 50 and 100 Mbit connections. Regardless the buffer was close to the same time, it's efficiency and speed is based on your host pc's processor and it's capabilities as far as workload goes. As long as your connection is stable it will work for one device at least with more concurrently as your bandwidth increases.

I use a VPN to watch UK Television. Sound strange? Let me explain...

I live in Italy and Italian TV is ok but I miss watching some of the UK channels. They are available online to people in the UK but not for me as they block all foreign IP addresses from watching them.
mad.png

Simple solution. I use openvpn to connect a computer attached to my tv with my server (which is in the UK) and tunnel all my internet traffic through my vpn resulting that i am in the UK when in reality I am in Italy.

I also love VPN's!
smile.png

I use a VPN to watch UK Television. Sound strange? Let me explain...

I live in Italy and Italian TV is ok but I miss watching some of the UK channels. They are available online to people in the UK but not for me as they block all foreign IP addresses from watching them. :mad:

Simple solution. I use openvpn to connect a computer attached to my tv with my server (which is in the UK) and tunnel all my internet traffic through my vpn resulting that i am in the UK when in reality I am in Italy.

I also love VPN's! :)
LOL that is just epic :)

I cannot lie the UK, and Canada believe it or not seem to produce some of the best documentaries (my favorite catagory of media) out there as far as thoroughness goes. What's funny is I do something similar...I have skype and my cap-card set up so my friend who does not have cable in the bedroom can watch tv with me on skype as I have the ability to push my hdmi capture card output to my video call and then I route the audio in a secondary mic input and I see them in a call and they see my cable box...I also gave one of my friends the app for their iphone so they can change the channel on my cable box if I fall asleep on them or they record a show to the dvr so we can watch it later. Technology can be so awesome.

(we should change this thread title to networking methods)

I have never tried that....hmmm....you have a good link to learn where to start?

Only flaw is that one end ideally needs to be a *nix box and it's no good for one of the uses you described (gaming). If you've got a box you can ssh into it's very easy to set up a tunnel (clients such as putty and SecureCRT have it built in) which you can use for all kinds of things. Personally I use it for secure VNC and MySQL connections (the latter for the awesome HeidiSQL GUI) as well as a secure http proxy.

Only flaw is that one end ideally needs to be a *nix box and it's no good for one of the uses you described (gaming). If you've got a box you can ssh into it's very easy to set up a tunnel (clients such as putty and SecureCRT have it built in) which you can use for all kinds of things. Personally I use it for secure VNC and MySQL connections (the latter for the awesome HeidiSQL GUI) as well as a secure http proxy.
Thank you

I use Hamachi to share work stuff at home.
  • 100% free for non-commercial use with up to 16 clients.
  • Perfect for gamers and home networking.
  • 14-day evaluation available.
LogMeIn Hamachi² is a hosted VPN service that securely connects devices and networks, extending LAN-like network connectivity to mobile users, distributed teams and business applications. You can easily create secure virtual networks on demand, across public and private networks.

Works for me :)

We call hulu in europe: usenet.
LOL that's funny...I have to be honest, newsgroups are something I never got into as I didn't know where to start and by the time I heard about it I thought it would be dead by the time I got involved...but it is still here and I was very wrong.

I wasn't saying anything with it but that it is rediculous that they are an international web site and refuse to target outside the US.

"yeah we understand this modern media and to help show that we are so modern we buy a youtube alterantive like hulu so we can be in control of the media we share, just plaster it with adverttisements. no of course non-us isn't welcome on the site, imagine that! serving media to anybody but our direct market, imagine them watching the outdated episode before the dvd got sold with 25% more $ on top of it .. it's amazing why the EU pirates so much, if only we knew why .. "

idiots.

I wasn't saying anything with it but that it is rediculous that they are an international web site and refuse to target outside the US.

"yeah we understand this modern media and to help show that we are so modern we buy a youtube alterantive like hulu so we can be in control of the media we share, just plaster it with adverttisements. no of course non-us isn't welcome on the site, imagine that! serving media to anybody but our direct market, imagine them watching the outdated episode before the dvd got sold with 25% more $ on top of it .. it's amazing why the EU pirates so much, if only we knew why .. "

idiots.
Exactly, if everything was handled in moderation they could still eat and we as end users of any form of media would be less likely to cheat the system. And who can blame the people. I remember there was a movie that had my martial arts instructor in it. Because it was "not in production anymore" I would need to pay a premium...(mind you this is vhs days) and a single vhs costed me 89$ usd and this was like '97 or before. If they tried to do that today, companies like that would fold. but back then there was no problem with them doing that. Nor was the internet at the speed it is today for the average person. My question is, if a movie distribution house can charge 90$ for a vhs in the 90's , how is that any different from a end user just downloading it now...you mean to tell me that 90 for a vhs isn't defrauding someone. LOL I agree with you floris, it is the politics of international law more than likely that the site is worried about. Thing was back then there wasn't to many venues for the average person. Now they try to make believe laws say something other than they what they actually state because they know their gross overcharging of media is biting them in the ass and in a panic blame the people, a group to them of unknowns with no faces and because they line peoples(lawmakers, lobbyist's etc ) pockets it's ok. I will be the first person to say...if you make a borderline product, rest assured that if you want my money I am trying it for free because I'm not fighting you for 2 months trying to get a return. I have my principles and pay for anything worthy. But on the other hand in reverse the human element is totally removed when it comes to end users rights.

The basic problem boils down to greed and all greedy people working together to rip off the sheep.

Top Bottom