Do you want an iphone app? I think this is the only way to go

cedivad

I've a crazy idea:
xF pays some external developer to deploy an (example) iphone app. App must be brand-able from the final admin and he must receive the source code too.
Let's see you pay the app 2000€, that is a month of work of a great coder.
You than resell the app to us (50€ each?), we brand it and we use it with our users.

Crazy?

I personally think that a good mobile skin for XenForo would have significantly more value than an iPhone app at this point.

Not that XenForo renders badly on mobile devices, on the contrary it renders very well (see here) but many of the UI elements are not designed for touch interaction, and therefore may be expecting hover operations or may be too small to effectively click without zooming in.

I have plans and designs for a mobile skin, though I can't say when it will debut at this point.

I personally think that a good mobile skin for XenForo would have significantly more value than an iPhone app at this point.

Not that XenForo renders badly on mobile devices, on the contrary it renders very well (see here) but many of the UI elements are not designed for touch interaction, and therefore may be expecting hover operations or may be too small to effectively click without zooming in.

I have plans and designs for a mobile skin, though I can't say when it will debut at this point.

This is the right way! :)

This is awesome news, it has been asked about a mobile skin for a while :D... I hope you won't just target the iPhone browser though but actually iPhone, Android, WebOS, Blackberry equally... I do agree that other than the slightly messed up navbar on both the iPhone and Android based handsets the whole thing looks pretty awesome on mobile devises ATM :D

Youtube has shown that you can do everything in a browser that you can in an iPhone app. Even more, if you compare m.youtube.com and the current iPhone app.

I'd much rather have a really good mobile skin/style. Especially because it's not tied to one platform. All smartphones have perfectly capable browsers, so I think that is definitely the way to go.

Youtube has shown that you can do everything in a browser that you can in an iPhone app. Even more, if you compare m.youtube.com and the current iPhone app.

I'd much rather have a really good mobile skin/style. Especially because it's not tied to one platform. All smartphones have perfectly capable browsers, so I think that is definitely the way to go.

Not all phones have perfectly capable browsers. Some of those mobile browsers are quite neutered -.-

This discussion will go on forever, until everybody moved to the Android or iPhone platform, or optionally have Opera mini. Everything that isn't made in the last few years is not worth browsing with. This has always been a discussion point for many web sites.

This discussion will go on forever, until everybody moved to the Android or iPhone platform, or optionally have Opera mini. Everything that isn't made in the last few years is not worth browsing with. This has always been a discussion point for many web sites.

Either way, there is no need for an iphone app, when iphones have a decent browser already

Either way, there is no need for an iphone app, when iphones have a decent browser already

I completely agree.
I want to browse the site as I browse it on my computer.
Steve Jobs sold it as "computer in your pocket", so I don't need a mobile skin.
I want the full experience. A (paid) app isn't really needed I think.

I'd love to get a mobile skin for XF.

All the mobile skins I've seen done for other platforms are done horribly, and having one made by the actual company releasing the forum would be great.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't mind a mobile skin for the users who I want to offer a faster/smoother experience. In the NL we have no traffic limit on the iPhone, and 3g here is 2 to 14mbit. So that's not a problem for me (us here). However, internationally that's different. That said, I think having a mobile skin is like supporting IE6. Outdated, aim for modern, aim for new. If there's something to push for, it will help overall, in the long run.

If everybody uses mobile skin to save traffic and increase speed -experience. Then there's no reason for AT&T to improve their network to support speed/traffic for those who browse via the full experience.

I think having a mobile skin is like supporting IE6. Outdated, aim for modern, aim for new.
I have to disagree with you on this point. Things that work well on the desktop do not necessarily work well on small-screen, touch-interface devices.

XenForo was designed for a desktop UI, and while I get almost perfect rendering of its pages on my iPhone, it does not represent a great browsing experience as special considerations need to be made for the minimum size of clickable controls etc.

I have to disagree with you on this point. Things that work well on the desktop do not necessarily work well on small-screen, touch-interface devices.

XenForo was designed for a desktop UI, and while I get almost perfect rendering of its pages on my iPhone, it does not represent a great browsing experience as special considerations need to be made for the minimum size of clickable controls etc.

I have to agree, touch interface is important as most of the screens are only 3-5" big and the user is pressing with their finger, in most cases small text links are hard to master... I am glad to hear you are taking this stance Kier :D

Top Bottom