Do you use trophy?

I tried it once, but got a lot of complaints.
People wanted the forum to be as functional as possible without useless features, which is a good point.
So I disabled it. It also feels a bit childish to reward people for posting or liking or whatever.

Last edited:
In our forum the entire user progression is tied to Trophy Points.
How does using trophy points help your forum? I am considering disabling also. The subject of trophy points generates a lot of questions. I do not see any apparent reason for it.

No, I've disabled it. Saves space on the tooltip that opens when you hover over a username, which was the most important factor for me lol.

How does using trophy points help your forum? I am considering disabling also. The subject of trophy points generates a lot of questions. I do not see any apparent reason for it.

We encourage people who use our forum to keep doing it.

We have, trophies for:
    • Messages in specific areas of our forum so people can see that you are an "expert" in that field.
  • Releases written
  • Contests
  • Special Trophies
When people reach certain milestones they reach a New user level:
  • Iron
  • Bronze 20 Points
  • Silver 50 Points
  • Electrum 100 Points
  • Gold 250 Points
  • Emerald 350 Points
  • Platinum 600 Points
  • Diamond 1000 Points
We calculated Trophy Points gain meticulously, so user progression isn't frustrating but rewarding.

Later this year we are gonna phase out the Release system. And replace the Release Trophies and their Points with our custom made Awards system.

Similar to Reddit Awards we will combine this two system to keep our forum entertaining.

Yes, that is the idea behind trophies, but as an end user, why should I be happy with 'Diamond 1000 points'?
If it is just a virtual status, I personally wouldn't care less.

Yes, that is the idea behind trophies, but as an end user, why should I be happy with 'Diamond 1000 points'?
If it is just a virtual status, I personally wouldn't care less.

I share the same opinion as you..

On the other hand, if the points can exchange for some real valuable stuff, I guess people will abuse the forum to get as many points as they can which is not something I want to see.

Mind to tell how many members are there in your forum? I feel it's a big one.

221.645 registered users, from 30 to 60 newly registered accounts daily. Our forum is online since 2007.

There are bigger forums with lightweight user distinctions but are built for different purposes than ours.

221.645 registered users, from 30 to 60 newly registered accounts daily. Our forum is online since 2007.

There are bigger forums with lightweight user distinctions but are built for different purposes than ours.
That's why you can play this trophy game. There's an incentive for them to move up.

For small forums, users just won't care (or hate) about this trophy thing.

I use badges instead of trophies but I'm kind of thinking about disabling Badges too it as it does seem a bit juvenile.

That's why you can play this trophy game. There's an incentive for them to move up.

For small forums, users just won't care (or hate) about this trophy thing.

Probably, but every community that search growth needs a growth mechanism. Facebook implemented a "badge" recognition system into their Pages and Groups: https://www.facebook.com/community/whats-new/facebook-group-badges/

You need it. Communities gathers around individuals. At first the founders and the moderation team, and if you manage your community successfully around other people.

That's why you need to reward them. To keep them interested, to make them stand out from the crowd. If I invested years in my profile on YOUR site, YOU should acknowledge it.

That's my line of thought, empower and enrich your user experience trough community and public recognition.

Probably, but every community that search growth needs a growth mechanism. Facebook implemented a "badge" recognition system into their Pages and Groups: https://www.facebook.com/community/whats-new/facebook-group-badges/

You need it. Communities gathers around individuals. At first the founders and the moderation team, and if you manage your community successfully around other people.

That's why you need to reward them. To keep them interested, to make them stand out from the crowd. If I invested years in my profile on YOUR site, YOU should acknowledge it.

That's my line of thought, empower and enrich your user experience trough community and public recognition.
Frankly I never think those Facebook badges have any use to me...

I wouldn't mind a Trophy husband for a while:) ;)

muscles what GIF

Top Bottom