Do you like the look of the new Apple Watch?

Do you like the new Apple Watch

• Total voters
Let me put it this way, for $350 you can also get a really nice Seiko, Vostok, Tissot or any other watch in that range.

Those watches are made to be...well...watches :) All those smartwatches are cool gadgets but as a nice watch...nah...
For a bit more money you can pre-order a Kairos, comes close to what it should be: https://kairoswatches.com/

Let me put it this way, for $350 you can also get a really nice Seiko, Vostok, Tissot or any other watch in that range.

Those watches are made to be...well...watches :) All those smartwatches are cool gadgets but as a nice watch...nah...
For a bit more money you can pre-order a Kairos, comes close to what it should be: https://kairoswatches.com/

I can't even look at other smart watches now. :D That is a thing of beauty. *refers to the Kairos watch*

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yeah while those are really nice they are still a little bit out of my price range too. Plus I am more of a gadget person too so that's why the Apple Watch appeals to me.

Here's a Dutch saying: Over smaak valt niet te twisten ("There's no accounting for taste" if I recall correctly).

I guess Apple would be glad not everyone thinks like I do ;)

Because there's an explosion of wearables now. Right now, there's a rise of a few things: Wearables, Internet of Things, and connected, really connected in every sense of the word. Connected devices.

Connected devices exists with compatible devices, one of the biggest example(s) is the connection between your wearable watch (like the iwatch) and your cellphone (like the iphone). Other connected devices includes tablet to TV's (like the smartglass, or your iphone to Apple TV). There's just a really big growth when it comes to these new sectors.

I was just at a startup event recently; I got to see a wearable watch, and a typical android phone communicate with each other - this technology allowed the recipient, or the holder to speak to the watch or phone to translate what you said out loud, into the phone. Here, this is what I'm talking about:

That's just a prototype, and the video was made like, 6 months ago. The prototype I saw is better than the video above. The jist of it is that wearables are now becoming a part of everyday lives. I was also just reading an article recently talking about how we'll be connected in a few years from now.

EDIT: I think this is the one: http://mashable.com/2014/03/13/most-connected-man-in-world-chris-dancy/

But what is the proposition?

I need/want a smart watch because__________________________.

I dont use watch. I use my phone to check time.
Watch buying is on the decline ... exactly for that reason.

Exactly !

It's more than ironic that Apple realizes they need to make their smartphone bigger ... but then also try to pretend that a tiny iWatch screen is useful !
- text message with no keyboard ?
- send your heartbeat to someone ?
- ? PROFIT ?

I don't understand the interest in SmartWatches at all.
And I think they become useless if you don't have your iPhone with you.

The Apple Pay with NFC is a big development.

I'm still waiting for an Apple iTV

I just explained it to you. Both wearable and connected devices go hand-in-hand.

There aren't many apps for the android watch yet, but that's because wearables have a long way to go before it's mainstream. Apple jumping in will change that.

Unless you've tried iWatch or similar wearables, don't knock it yet. If I didn't go to the startup event last month, I wouldn't know the hoopla behind it, but I do.

And, actually, people asked the same thing you did, with... google glass. Think about that.

Last edited:
I just explained it to you. Both wearable and connected devices go hand-in-hand.

So...

I need/want a smart watch because both wearable and connected devices go hand-in-hand.

That is not a proposition. It needs to cite something about the watch itself. Name a feature or something.

So...

I need/want a smart watch because both wearable and connected devices go hand-in-hand.

That is not a proposition. It needs to cite something about the watch itself. Name a feature or something.

I'm trying to be nice as possible, because if you read what I said in page 1, you would know what the value proposition is. As I've said, we're moving towards 3 new sectors: Wearables, Internet of Things, and connected devices.

I also said that wearables and connected devices goes hand-in-hand. I meant that Wearables like iWatch or whatever android watch there is - those devices can communicate with your phone in ways that can bring interactivity. You just don't see it right now because you haven't worn it, or tested it, or know what it is.

So, allow me to bring the iWatch video into this thread:

Naturally, this video is a concept. The reason why it's not out right now is because the ecosystem for the Watch's OS isn't finished yet. Not even the apps are finished, either. A lot of the apps that are on Android Watches aren't finished, aren't fleshed out, or any of that sort - so that's why you're not hearing about it.

People like you are quick to knock it, because you think these wearables aren't "useful" or know what it is. So, do your research.

To answer your question, going just by the video above... The value proposition is:

I want an iWatch because I can easily find the map, find my way.
I want an iWatch because I can easily set the clock the way I want to; a normal clock, or a numbered clock (<- I like this)
[I have to buy a different watch to get a numbered clock. With iWatch, you can choose which kind of clock YOU want.]
I want an iWatch becasue I can put today's date next to my clock.
I want an iWatch because I can change today's date from a click of a button (something like that).
I want an iWatch because I can listen to music without having to use ipod (yes, ipod).
I want an iWatch because I can check how much I've been sitting (okay, I see what you're talking about, @Digital Doctor)
I want an iWatch because I can set up a timer to end at a certain time (timekeeping stuff).
I want an iWatch because I can set up appointments and the watch reminds me.

Is that better, or do I need to keep going? Because the possibilities are endless. Those aren't the only apps that are going to be on that watch.

Last edited:
I'm trying to be nice as possible, because if you read what I said in page 1, you would know what the value proposition is. As I've said, we're moving towards 3 new sectors: Wearables, Internet of Things, and connected devices.

I also said that wearables and connected devices goes hand-in-hand. I meant that Wearables like iWatch or whatever android watch there is - those devices can communicate with your phone in ways that can bring interactivity. You just don't see it right now because you haven't worn it, or tested it, or know what it is.

So, allow me to bring the iWatch video into this thread:

Naturally, this video is a concept. The reason why it's not out right now is because the ecosystem for the Watch's OS isn't finished yet. Not even the apps are finished, either. A lot of the apps that are on Android Watches aren't finished, aren't fleshed out, or any of that sort - so that's why you're not hearing about it.

People like you are quick to knock it, because you think these wearables aren't "useful" or know what it is. So, do your research.

To answer your question, going just by the video above... The value proposition is:

I want a iWatch because I can easily find the map, find my way.
I want a iWatch because I can easily set the clock the way I want to; a normal clock, or a numbered clock (<- I like this)
I want a iWatch becasue I can put today's date next to my clock.
I want a iWatch because I can change today's date from a click of a button (something like that).

Watches on both sides aren't terribly useful right now. IMO. Maybe in 4-5 years they will be useful to the point....

I'll want a smart watch to monitor my health and have statistics at my disposal, even more so for a family member with a heart condition. (Saturation levels, heart rate and other functions i can't think of yet).
I'll want a smart watch that caters for women, not Gorillas or people with large wrists.
I'll want a smart watch that looks like a high quality (kind of watch you can wear when you go out) though the Kairos watch looks great it's still far too big and thick.
I'll want a smart watch on the offchance I'm stuck out at night and my phone battery dies (calling without the aid of your smart watch is a must imo) Is that a few years away? Who knows.
I'll want a smart watch when they are truly practical to have and you don't need your phone at all.

Michael Knight had a great smart watch so I'm really not seeing how Android and Apple haven't caught up yet with 1980's tech. It's baffling. baffling indeed I tell you. *sits in a confused state*

Personally, I like the potential of where smart watches could go but right now, for me atleast, they aren't practical to have.

I'll want a smart watch to monitor my health and have statistics at my disposal, even more so for a family member with a heart condition. (Saturation levels, heart rate and other functions i can't think of yet).
The video shows that somewhat. Not as detailed, but it's there. It's in the works. Likewise, there are entrepreneurs working on what you want. I was watching Startups Silicon Valley (it's a TV show), and it shows an entrepreneur, trying to build an app for people like you. As a prototype, it was a phone app, and a sort of... mat.
I'll want a smart watch that caters for women, not Gorillas or people with large wrists.
Go to the end of the video, you'll see that the watch is interchangable. That means, you will get what you want. YOU.
I'll want a smart watch that looks like a high quality (kind of watch you can wear when you go out) though the Kairos watch looks great it's still far too big and thick.
The technology is currently not there to do what you want. It looks like iWatch seems "big" but that's because there are several layers to the watch. In the video it tells you how mnay layers of chips there are...
I'll want a smart watch on the offchance I'm stuck out at night and my phone battery dies (calling without the aid of your smart watch is a must imo) Is that a few years away? Who knows.
That requires something like lithium ion, or better - not many companies are able to shrink lithium ion to pint size. The farthest that I've seen it go, is hearing aid size.
I'll want a smart watch when they are truly practical to have and you don't need your phone at all.
I think that's the point of iWatch or any "wearable" out on the market right now.

The video shows that somewhat. Not as detailed, but it's there. It's in the works. Likewise, there are entrepreneurs working on what you want. I was watching Startups Silicon Valley (it's a TV show), and it shows an entrepreneur, trying to build an app for people like you. As a prototype, it was a phone app, and a sort of... mat.

Go to the end of the video, you'll see that the watch is interchangable. That means, you will get what you want. YOU.

The technology is currently not there to do what you want. It looks like iWatch seems "big" but that's because there are several layers to the watch. In the video it tells you how mnay layers of chips there are...

That requires something like lithium ion, or better - not many companies are able to shrink lithium ion to pint size. The farthest that I've seen it go, is hearing aid size.

I think that's the point of iWatch or any "wearable" out on the market right now.

Yeah, I still think smart watches are at least 2-3 years away minimum from being truly practical to have (speaking for me) . I'll eventually get one but I doubt it'll be from Apple, Motorala, Samsung, LG but from a company like Kairos. But something that fits my criteria is when I'll jump on the smart watch band wagon. I'm predicting that'll be 3rd generation 4th generation smart watches.

Another big issue of smartwatches: Lifecycle.

My TAG Heuer probably lasts for decades. I guess my son can/will wear it after I'm gone. But smartwatches? 1/2 maybe 3 years? Then version 2 will come along and you can throw away your version 1.

So $350 may sound inexpensive...it is when you consider lifespan.

I want an iWatch because I can easily set the clock the way I want to; a normal clock, or a numbered clock (<- I like this)
[I have to buy a different watch to get a numbered clock. With iWatch, you can choose which kind of clock YOU want.]
I want an iWatch because I can change today's date from a click of a button (something like that).
I want an iWatch because I can listen to music without having to use ipod (yes, ipod).
I want an iWatch because I can check how much I've been sitting (okay, I see what you're talking about, @Digital Doctor)
I want an iWatch because I can set up a timer to end at a certain time (timekeeping stuff).

Is that better, or do I need to keep going? Because the possibilities are endless. Those aren't the only apps that are going to be on that watch.

My phone does a better job than iWatch on everyone of those wants.
The only use I can see is I could read a text on my watch instead of getting my phone out of my pocket.
And that's not what I want ... I want less text messages ... not more or more convenient.

iWatch ... iNothing !

I haven't knocked anything. I have only asked for a proposition.

That helps. Thank you.

I think I will just use my phone for these things though.

Top Bottom