Do forums benefit much with SSD on a dedicated server?

I was just wondering if SSD will make much of a difference on reliability and forum speed?

"It depends".

SSDs offer better access times in general, so if your having issues with disk I/O it will improve those... if not, the benefit will be minimal.

Will massively boost mysql performance - rarely do queries count for more than 1-2% of my page load time

It made a big difference to ours - but then the HDD was the bottleneck on our old server; however, as a caveat, we did get the new server stuffed with 64GB RAM (which helps too). :D

How is the above FUD? He's expressing his experience for his workload. He saw a massive improvement in mysql and now queries account for 1 -2% of his page load. What's the problem with that?

Yes I saw a pretty tangible increase in performance, but disc activity was so great vs. comparatively short SSD lifespan worked out expensive...... not so much in hardware but in damned engineers fees (£120.00 just to wake the bugga up!)

For a start, how can he say that "queries account for 1-2% of page load" ?

Just going by the xenforo figures, aka <2ms for all queries, ~0.1s page load time.

And this was the case back when my server was under decent load too (no longer hosting the site in question), 700+ queries/sec

But you're right, obviously this is completely my experience and opinion. On the other hand, the thread has absolutely no details (ssd model? load? server specs?), so what more can I say

Just going by the xenforo figures, aka <2ms for all queries, ~0.1s page load time.

And this was the case back when my server was under decent load too (no longer hosting the site in question), 700+ queries/sec

But you're right, obviously this is completely my experience and opinion. On the other hand, the thread has absolutely no details (ssd model? load? server specs?), so what more can I say

Quad Core 8 gig ram. A clean up of the server took place over the last couple of days. In fact we change servers as part of a clean up. The different sites on the server were moved with a stick to avoid anything nasty from following us to the new server. We were having some issues with lagging but that is cleaned up a bunch but we still I think have a little bit of lag. We has a problem before for sure until we cleaned up the mess.

Discussions:
Members:
We will break 2000 online at a time in the late evening. We are actually growing too fast at this time.

This is not the only site on the server but is the busiest.

http://edcforums.com/

Feels like it lags a bit to me. Search is a little slow too so thinking about enhanced search.

As has been said, it really depends on where the bottleneck is. If you are maxing your current drive array regularly, then yes, SSD drives are going to be an immense improvement. You can try using iotop when it's busy and see what your drive usage is.

There are only 1520-ish users online right now, but your forum is blazing fast to me. Not lagging at all on my end.

As has been said, it really depends on where the bottleneck is. If you are maxing your current drive array regularly, then yes, SSD drives are going to be an immense improvement. You can try using iotop when it's busy and see what your drive usage is.

There are only 1520-ish users online right now, but your forum is blazing fast to me. Not lagging at all on my end.

It is faster over here on this forum. I was going to try and get it as fast as XenForo's forum.

Be careful with that. If your server crashes you're boned. ;)

I'm not too worried - we've got a second SSD that is rsync'd every four hours, a third (regular HDD) that is sync'd overnight, and a weekly S3 backup in case anything really terminal happens to the box.

It stretches my budget but it also gives us the fastest cycling forum in the UK and room for plenty of growth. (y)

Top Bottom