Do forums benefit much with SSD on a dedicated server?

That's all good and well, but we did very extensive testing of our own. In fact, I loaded servers with SSD drives that were transferring over 4GB/sec. of data. Yep...4GB! :) All our VPS servers are currently pure SSD in hardware RAID10. They get anywhere from 1GB/sec. - 2GB/sec. transfer rates, and the page loads are not any different.

Where you are going to see improvement is exactly where I said...if you are maxing out the disk i/o on a mechanical drive setup. Rebuilding your cache, installing add-ons, etc. is most definitely going to be faster, as that is highly-dependant on disk speed. Just like if you had a SSD drive on your home computer, Windows is going to load faster, Word is going to open quicker, etc.

But real high-performance servers serving web pages are usually not limited by the disk i/o. That is almost never the limiting factor unless you are running a huge site or you are on a crowded or overloaded server.

I set up a quick test a few minutes ago on two of our servers. Now keep in mind that they are not exactly identical, loads are slightly different, etc., but they are in exactly the same datacenter (on the same switch in fact) so load times are not going to be affected by different datacenters, bandwidth pipes, latency, etc.

The server on the left is a VPS server with 8 Samsung 840 Pros in hardware RAID10.
The server on the right is a standard server with 8 15k drives in hardware RAID10.

It's not PHP, and PHP "might" yield very slightly different results. But here are the results for pulling a test .html text file using Apache:

6.png

7.png

10.png

It's a tie. In fact, the 15k drives are serving the pages ever so slightly quicker, but a few miliseconds could be due to any number of things. As you can see, the disk i/o isn't making an ounce of difference, because that isn't the limiting factor on the 15k drive server.

I'm tempted to run the same test with a PHP file later, but then I have to set up test databases and such. Ugh! ha ha! But the results aren't going to be any different, because the mechanical drive server has plenty of disk i/o for pulling the data from the database, running the PHP files, etc.

Yeah, static HTML pages aren't very good for testing. PHP pages loaded with lots of **** are the real deal.

We tested with PHP back in the day as well, with the same results, but I'll load some up again. Probably wont be until tomorrow.

Loading php info doesn't count. Try loading heavy php pages with SQL queries, HTML5 banners and such.

What do you need 64GB ram for? o.o
How big your RAM is =/= the amount of users your server can hold at once. I know it's a bit much, but if you have a website with a lot of traffic coming in and out every day... You need something heavy.
EDIT: Yeah, especially for game servers...
Well when you put your worlds in a minecraft server on a ramdisk, and your server crashes you're boned if you don't have backups. Even then you still have a load of pissed off players because you have to roll back 2 hours to the last backup. Downtime kills you too.

What do you need 64GB ram for? o.o

It is likely I'll be using this server for at least the next 5 years and already have 8 forums, a number of blogs, and plans for more sites (when I make it my full-time occupation) so for not a lot extra per month (compared to the 32GB config) I decided to go for the 64GB set-up. Why not eh? (y) :D

Top Bottom