Discord server for the XenForo community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tealk

First of all, the whole thing is of course not a replacement for support boards, but could be a practical addition.

The idea:
Some problems can be solved faster and easier in a direct conversation than in long threads or PNs. Usually you use a messenger, but nowadays almost everyone uses a different one, sometimes it's not that easy :D
This is where Discord comes in and would be responsible for direct communication. Or just to exchange you with others without having to open a whole contribution.

You don't need to install any software because you can use it in your browser, you just need an account. Discord is also available as a client for all platforms.

There are also text channels that will inform you about new XF versions and channels that will show new add-ons are planned.

If you have any questions or suggestions for improvement, contact me.

now, for your information, there are channels for new add-ons, new styles, new template modifications, and new tips and guides.
There is also a rank for add-on writers

Last edited:
For my part, I am not on Discord and I am not sure why I would bother joining for this unless it was an official Xenforo channel. I am not interesting in having to go two places for my Xenforo information. And if everything on here is on there and vice versa, having two channels becomes pointless.

For my part, I am not on Discord and I am not sure why I would bother joining for this unless it was an official Xenforo channel. I am not interesting in having to go two places for my Xenforo information. And if everything on here is on there and vice versa, having two channels becomes pointless.

Same.

I think it sort of defeats the purpose having a Discord to support a forum software...seems counter-intuitive if nothing else. Also, how do you guarantee the people you're helping are licensed XenForo customers and not people with nulled installs looking for help? I've never been a big chat software type of person, personally, I find it drives the activity of the forums down, but I understand why some like them, just for me it seems like this is a bit of a pointless application of Discord (IMO).

Discord is what has made Forums die in the first place
Well, that and social media. But I think Discord can be a great addition under the right circumstances, I have it added to my site along with chat and neither do very well because it seems like most of my members prefer standard threaded discussion, which is why they choose to participate to begin with. I just like offering up all the options for them.

Also, how do you guarantee the people you're helping are licensed XenForo customers and not people with nulled installs looking for help?
Good point. Hadn't though of that. You'd need to verify who is registered somehow if you wanted to keep the "nulls" out.

I've never been a big chat software type of person, personally, I find it drives the activity of the forums down, but I understand why some like them, just for me it seems like this is a bit of a pointless application of Discord (IMO).
Most sites I know that have chats with their forums have their own, on site chat engines. I don't chat much myself but I know the one writing forum I am on almost has two separate communities, the forum users and the chatters, with a few who go back and forth.

Good point. Hadn't though of that. You'd need to verify who is registered somehow if you wanted to keep the "nulls" out.

Most sites I know that have chats with their forums have their own, on site chat engines. I don't chat much myself but I know the one writing forum I am on almost has two separate communities, the forum users and the chatters, with a few who go back and forth.
Sadly, I've seen it go in the opposite direction, with chats dominating the forums and making the forum a virtual ghost town. I have a chat on my own small site, and while I still drive activity to the forum when I can, I've got a moderately active chat and a dead forum. I won't remove the chat, because the users enjoy it, but it's one thing that, if I could go backwards in time, I'd stop myself from installing it.

Sadly, I've seen it go in the opposite direction, with chats dominating the forums and making the forum a virtual ghost town.
The writing site's attempt at a separate mobile site (see below) had that problem. The mobile forums were basically dead while the mobile chat had its own community made up mostly of people who weren't even on the parent site. Now she's shutting down that mobile site, forcing those people on to the main site, and they don't like its chat system (I also think the mobile site's chat was superior but as someone who mainly uses forums, it's not a big deal for me).

Footnote: Their software is heavily customized open source that doesn't adapt well to different screen sizes. I even have problems zooming on a desktop. However, it is so wound in with the owner's other businesses, including the writing site itself, that she can't easily change to something more modern like XF (don't worry, I've made sure she's heard me sing XF's praises). Hence starting a new, separate mobile site with different software.

Last edited:
Sadly, I've seen it go in the opposite direction, with chats dominating the forums and making the forum a virtual ghost town. I have a chat on my own small site, and while I still drive activity to the forum when I can, I've got a moderately active chat and a dead forum. I won't remove the chat, because the users enjoy it, but it's one thing that, if I could go backwards in time, I'd stop myself from installing it.
I had this same fear when I setup chat, so far my experience has been the opposite as most of my users appear to prefer standard threaded chat. I will say that most of us are of an older age group though and the pace suits us.

The writing site's attempt at a separate mobile site (see below) had that problem. The mobile forums were basically dead while the mobile chat had its own community made up mostly of people who weren't even on the parent site. Now she's shutting down that mobile site, forcing those people on to the main site, and they don't like its chat system (I also think the mobile site's chat was superior but as someone who mainly uses forums, it's not a big deal for me).

Footnote: Their software is heavily customized open source that doesn't adapt well to different screen sizes. I even have problems zooming on a desktop. However, it is so wound in with the owner's other businesses, including the writing site itself, that she can't easily change to something more modern like XF (don't worry, I've made sure she's heard me sing XF's praises). Hence starting a new, separate mobile site with different software.
This sounds very similar to a site I used to run the community side of, it had a chat section comprised of completely separate people on completely separate software, but the owner of the site got tired of having two split communities, so closed the chat down and left the more popular forums running (this was in the early 00s, so forums were still the preferred discussion outlet and most social media did not exist yet). The chat-based community had a hard time integrating and most chose not to bother, but the forums kept on growing. Hopefully in time those who don't like the newer software will adapt to it.

I had this same fear when I setup chat, so far my experience has been the opposite as most of my users appear to prefer standard threaded chat. I will say that most of us are of an older age group though and the pace suits us.
That's the web generation I'm with, as forum software has always been my preferred form of "chatting," rather than a real-time chat software. Sadly, my smaller community is a mix of older and younger, and at the moment, younger is dominating and dictating that the chat takes precedence over the forums, so despite my best efforts to keep content flowing in the forums, the chat has multiple 30,000+ message posters while the forums have two with 1,500 messages...the disparity is staggering, honestly. Like I said, though, I won't deactivate the chat or force people to post in the forums, I'm just hoping one day we'll gain more active forum users and start to eventually balance things out.

I really thought about your message before adding the chat to my own forums. I feel like I had to do it before someone in the community started promoting his own Discord, which would be out of my control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom