Not a bug Disappeared templates

santamo

Disappeared templates in all styles. When I create a new template - it is in the list of templates, but there are not other templates in the list . Version 1.2.4. Server error no. What is the reason?

All work - error from provider.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it's likely to be user error or a similar issue.

I've never experienced this myself.

Could you try and describe the exact scenario. What style did you create the template in? Had you set any filters in the filter box? What can you do to replicate the issue? What version of XenForo?

I've been having serious issues with the template system since moving from 1.1 to 1.3. Not sure if it's related to this, but disappearing/missing templates were one of them.

Rebuilding master data usually fixes whatever problem I'm having, though it's rather annoying to have to do that each time.

In any case I figure it's down to something pretty specific since obviously it works fine for the majority of people. FWIW I did used to have TMS installed but I uninstalled it prior to upgrading as instructed, and the issues persist with all add-ons and APCu and OPCache disabled.

Whenever I have a compelling reason to renew my license I suppose I'll file a support ticket and see if someone who's more familiar with the intricacies of the template system can track it down. I figure it's something between the built in TMS, the way templates are compiled, and the deferred system.

Trying to understand, exactly what templates are missing?

Many hours here between numerous versions with zero missing templates kinda leads me to believe a add-on may be at fault or at the very least a "filter" not being seen by the end user. Meaning you filter the template list then when you are looking at the template list you won't see anything because the filter is active. I HAVE done this and can be deceiving.

Trying to understand, exactly what templates are missing?

Many hours here between numerous versions with zero missing templates kinda leads me to believe a add-on may be at fault or at the very least a "filter" not being seen by the end user. Meaning you filter the template list then when you are looking at the template list you won't see anything because the filter is active. I HAVE done this and can be deceiving.
Was my first thought too.

When this happens, before rebuilding master data, perform this database query:

Code:
 SELECT * FROM xf_template WHERE title = 'template_name'

Where template_name is the missing template.

That should return a result for each template plus the master style.

If it's in the database, it can't be missing from the list.

Double check the filter is empty. Let us know whether it is missing in search results or in the template list. Double check your cookies as filters are saved there. Clear your cookies if necessary.

When this happens, before rebuilding master data, perform this database query
I am a developer by trade, and pretty familiar with XF internals, though I haven't had the need (or time) to take a look at what's changed with the template system since 1.1. I do realize how impossible this seems.

I would provide more detailed information to debug this issue, but ever since I got everything working fine I've been too nervous to do anything that would cause these problems to happen again. When/if they do, I'll file a new bug report. My issues ran deeper than disappearing templates, I just wanted to chime in here in case somebody else were having similar issues.

FWIW I did actually search through the database for one of my problems (not disappearing templates though) and found that xf_template and xf_template_compiled were out of sync.

Top Bottom