XF 2.2 Disabling editor buttons.

RallyFan

Previously it was possible to disable buttons like inline code, etc (in XFv2.1).

Is this option still available in v2.2? I can see where I can edit the Large/Medium dropdowns, but not remove buttons themselves?

As a side comment to this, is there any danger in leaving those buttons there, if they can't be removed (I gather it's only used to format code and there is no way to potentially execute it?).

Solution
Senore' derp derp here just figured it out LOL.

For those stumped, just click and drag the buttons away under BB Code Button Manager.

😊
For those stumped, just click and drag the buttons away under BB Code Button Manager.
Are you sure of that? As far as I know this just removes the options from the editor but does not disables them.
Did you test this too?
For example, if you remove the "insert image" from the editor, as far as I know you can still use the [img] code tags manually.

Are you sure of that? As far as I know this just removes the options from the editor but does not disables them.
Did you test this too?
For example, if you remove the "insert image" from the editor, as far as I know you can still use the [img] code tags manually.
You can't disable the function, (well at least I don't think you can without completely disable BB code functionality) but that's all I needed really.

Also not sure if as a non administrator/moderator you can use those tags.. haven't tested.

Oke so then it's removing options, not disabling them. I thought I missed some disable options but that is not the case.

But you're right, most of us old guys know bbcodes by head. Most modern users only use what they see in the editor. ;)

Oke so then it's removing options, not disabling them. I thought I missed some disable options but that is not the case.

But you're right, most of us old guys know bbcodes by head. Most modern users only use what they see in the editor. ;)
Exactly.. its just to stop people like spammers, or troublesome end users using the tags to create problems.

I had this issue on one of my forums--I removed the color button from the editor, but someone decided to color their text anyways with raw BBCode. I think I found a way in CSS to ignore any color changes in post bodies, but I'd have to check again to see if it's really working correctly. But it would be easier if we could just disable the BBCode or at the very least, neuter it so that if it exists in some posts already, it is just ignored.

Would indeed be easier. If I remember correctly SMF had a configuration option where you could choose which bbcodes would be available.
Most of the standard used were pre-selected but this way it was easy to deselect like for example the color and size bbcodes.

Is a custom BBCode override the original BBcode ?
if i recreate the bold bbcode by assigning it something other than bold (eg italic) what happens when i use it in the editor?

Would indeed be easier. If I remember correctly SMF had a configuration option where you could choose which bbcodes would be available.
Most of the standard used were pre-selected but this way it was easy to deselect like for example the color and size bbcodes.
It would be a nice option to have, but it's not a deal breaker either. I can work around it if I need to, using CSS.

Is a custom BBCode override the original BBcode ?
if i recreate the bold bbcode by assigning it something other than bold (eg italic) what happens when i use it in the editor?
I've never tried that--I could experiment with it when I have a little time. I did have a duplicate code for [hr] (horizontal rule) but didn't actually try using it before I deleted it.

Top Bottom