Disable RSS feed?

Kevboston

My forum is visible only to registered/paying members and the RSS feeds do not work because login is required... is there a way I can remove the RSS icons from my forum?

You can remove the icons but that won't disable the feed.
You will need an add-on for that.

I have moved the thread to the correct support forum, if you haven't already done so, associate your forum account with your licence so you can post in the customer forums.
You are currently showing as an unlicensed customer.

http://xenforo.com/customers/forum-users

This worked for removing the RSS icons but I want to completely remove RSS ability from my forum as it is a closed community. How can I do this without a mod? Thank you

This worked for removing the RSS icons but I want to completely remove RSS ability from my forum as it is a closed community. How can I do this without a mod? Thank you
If your permissions are set so that only registered members can view any of the content then you can simply hide the RSS icons and even if unregistered users found the RSS feed, they couldn't view anything. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

If your permissions are set so that only registered members can view any of the content then you can simply hide the RSS icons and even if unregistered users found the RSS feed, they couldn't view anything. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct. The outgoing feed obeys your forum permissions. If guests aren't allowed to view content then the feed will be empty for them.

Is there a way to allow the RSS feeds to be only used by registered members whilst having the forums open to guests?

Most of my forums are open to guests. I want to implement advertisements in the future for guests; registered users won't see them. I therefore need a way to prevent guests from avoiding seeing the ads on the website by them using RSS (or alternatively include ads in the Rss if I can't do this).

The RSS feeds use the same permission option as threads/posts so that's not possible.

Including ads also isn't an available feature.

The RSS feeds use the same permission option as threads/posts so that's not possible.

Including ads also isn't an available feature.
Thanks for this, Brogan.

I'm surprised that neither of these has been raised before (at least I've not seen them in my short time here). It appears that quite a few forum admins use advertising to guests as a way of generating income but RSS can bypass this if using Chris Deeming's Description for RSS addon. It's a shame as I'd really like to offer the full RSS feature to registered users but prevent it being used by guests whilst leaving the forums open for guests to view with advertising.

I want to hide the RSS icons in the nodes but keep one in the footer. How do I do that?

Edit: OK, that was painfully obvious.
.node .nodeControls{display:none;}

:D

I tried using this code. The RSS icons were still there - but all my prettifying of categories on the bars disappeared! Wah!

EDIT Found another snippet that worked.

Code:
.node .tinyIcon
{
display: none !important;
}

Last edited:
You can also find this in the node_forum_level_2 template and comment it out, which means it wouldn't be rendered at all:

Code:
<div class="nodeControls">
            <a href="{xen:link forums/index.rss, $forum}" class="tinyIcon feedIcon" title="{xen:phrase rss}">{xen:phrase rss}</a>
        </div>

With CSS, people can still undo the no display by using the browser inspection tool.

Top Bottom