Disable bbcode sharing for guests

Alpha1

XFMG has a 'Share this media' sidebar block to make it easy for members to share media. However, this is also displayed to guests which means that they will share the image to other sites resulting in significant bandwidth costs to no benefit.

Its great that guests can share links, but I don't want to actively enable (and thereby giving implicit permission) to embed our images on other sites.

Please add a setting to disable embed code for guests.

Upvote 4
But the gallery BB code can’t be used on other sites... or have I misunderstood?

But even for the IMG bb code, you’re really not going to stop people leeching images. They could just share the image url anyway.

There are some fairly simple server side methods you can use to prevent images from being hot linked so I don’t envisage is doing anything you can’t already do yourself.

But the gallery BB code can’t be used on other sites... or have I misunderstood?
This means that the block is promoting a function to users who cannot use that function.
But even for the IMG bb code, you’re really not going to stop people leeching images. They could just share the image url anyway.
The point is that XFMG should not be promoting leeching to guests.
There are some fairly simple server side methods you can use to prevent images from being hot linked so I don’t envisage is doing anything you can’t already do yourself.
True, but this then it boils down to promoting a function to users that cannot use it.

Top Bottom