DigitalPoint has felt the wrath of IBs customer service

Brent W

Originally posted here: http://www.forumadminsource.com/threads/vbulletin-sends-cease-and-desist-to-digitialpoint.57/

The complete cluster **** that is vBulletin continues on with them sending a C&D to Digital Point. Screen shots of the thread below and the final screenshot is of his license.

The only thing that would have made it better is if Paul M would have provided his excellent customer service skills by replying "If we sent it, it must be true. We don't mess up."

screen-shot-2012-11-21-at-11-19-03-pm-png.36

screen-shot-2012-11-21-at-11-19-13-pm-png.37

screen-shot-2012-11-21-at-11-42-51-pm-png.39

image-2012-11-21-7-27-10-pm-png.38

Oh snap! Sh*t just got real :eek:

Oh joking aside, Internet Brands would be completely foolish to cancel Digital Point's license. That's like begging all your customers to go some place else.

Will be cool though to see them jump to XenForo :sneaky::D

I'm just glad to put vB in the rear-view mirror... Don't need them, don't need their crappy over-bloated BS software anymore, no more database email notifications all the time... Blah, just glad to washed hands of them lol.

Strange. So we can also expect such a letter soon? We use one vB license out of one database with more than 150.000 subdomains. Each of our users has got his own subdomain.

I hope we'll not receive 150.000 such piracy emails ...
Thankfully the outspoken threat is useless in our case, since we -like DP- have no hosting provider, just 3 upstream networks.

No BFD. It looks like they made a mistake. Probably a directive from on high....

People make mistakes. There may be issues with IB, but this doesn't seem like one of them (IMHO).

IB hassling Digitalpoint isn't a big deal really as craigiri suggests.
But it does underline IB as an unthinking corporate monstrosity that treats customers as numbers.

IB hassling Digitalpoint isn't a big deal really as craigiri suggests.
But it does underline IB as an unthinking corporate monstrosity that treats customers as numbers.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of companies that respond to these kind of tactics so easily, particularly with an established website such as DigitalPoint.

I recently got a cease and desist on a line of products my company is selling online. It was from DC comics and they were really nice about it. Didn't give me a time frame or anything. It is our first notice but they said we could even call to discuss the matter. In other words they were willing to work it out. Of course I got this long document with copyright and intellectual rights...
I think all cease and desists should offer cooperation before taking action lol. I think it's more polite... but this is a world of software not tangible products. And lots of warez going around. I would think that VB would recognize DPs size and offer a more polite resolution

"Pardon us shawn but it appears *website* may violate our licensing terms. Please contact a rep as soon as possible to resolve this issue."

Seriously, who really cares about IB anyway.
They suck.
They suck so bad that Wikipedia has to sue them to stop their bullying tactics.
They screw over vBulletin Germany ... for really no reason and overlook the obvious bad business aspects of that.
They are running vBulletin into the ground at a crucial time when forum communities are under attack from Social media and blogs. IB did a horrible job of vB5 and *EVEN AFTER* Xenforo showed them what to do .... they can't release a reasonable successor to vB4 even after being shown the way ? O U C H.
At every level IB is in SERIOUS trouble.
This was just a funny example, on the backdrop of the sad pathetic mess that is vB / IB.

Top Bottom