1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DigitalPoint has felt the wrath of IBs customer service

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BamaStangGuy, Nov 22, 2012.

1. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Well-Known Member

Originally posted here: http://www.forumadminsource.com/threads/vbulletin-sends-cease-and-desist-to-digitialpoint.57/

The complete cluster **** that is vBulletin continues on with them sending a C&D to Digital Point. Screen shots of the thread below and the final screenshot is of his license.

The only thing that would have made it better is if Paul M would have provided his excellent customer service skills by replying "If we sent it, it must be true. We don't mess up."

0xym0r0n and Walter like this.
  2. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Oh snap! Sh*t just got real :eek:

Oh joking aside, Internet Brands would be completely foolish to cancel Digital Point's license. That's like begging all your customers to go some place else.

Will be cool though to see them jump to XenForo :sneaky::D
  3. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

Nothing out of the usual.
  4. vVv

vVv Guest

This figures, but at same time I think DP will be moved to XF anyway so... xD
    Adam Howard likes this.
  5. oman

oman Well-Known Member

The vBulletin customer area looks so cluttered, compared to XF. :unsure:
    TheBigK and 0xym0r0n like this.
  6. vVv

vVv Guest

I'm just glad to put vB in the rear-view mirror... Don't need them, don't need their crappy over-bloated BS software anymore, no more database email notifications all the time... Blah, just glad to washed hands of them lol.
  7. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

This is completely unprofessional. It creates several questions, including:

• HOW did (IB) they got Shawn's personal email?
    • How did they mess this one so badly?
    Insy and Adam Howard like this.
  8. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

Strange. So we can also expect such a letter soon? We use one vB license out of one database with more than 150.000 subdomains. Each of our users has got his own subdomain.

I hope we'll not receive 150.000 such piracy emails ...
    Thankfully the outspoken threat is useless in our case, since we -like DP- have no hosting provider, just 3 upstream networks.
    Digital Doctor likes this.
  9. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Thread is gone.
  10. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

It's still there for me?
    Digital Doctor likes this.
  11. Pope Viper

Pope Viper Well-Known Member

Might want to remove the image since it has his licensing info in it.
    Steve F likes this.
  12. craigiri

craigiri Well-Known Member

No BFD. It looks like they made a mistake. Probably a directive from on high....

People make mistakes. There may be issues with IB, but this doesn't seem like one of them (IMHO).
  13. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

I don't see the risk of having a license number published. I can see the risks of having a customer number or password published...
    Adam Howard likes this.
  14. Digital Doctor

IB hassling Digitalpoint isn't a big deal really as craigiri suggests.
    But it does underline IB as an unthinking corporate monstrosity that treats customers as numbers.
    dutchbb likes this.
  15. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

how does that work technically ?
  16. System0

System0 Active Member

Agreed. I'm not a fan of companies that respond to these kind of tactics so easily, particularly with an established website such as DigitalPoint.
  17. Miner

Miner Well-Known Member

A careless mistake by IB :eek:
  18. 0xym0r0n

0xym0r0n Well-Known Member

I recently got a cease and desist on a line of products my company is selling online. It was from DC comics and they were really nice about it. Didn't give me a time frame or anything. It is our first notice but they said we could even call to discuss the matter. In other words they were willing to work it out. Of course I got this long document with copyright and intellectual rights...
    I think all cease and desists should offer cooperation before taking action lol. I think it's more polite... but this is a world of software not tangible products. And lots of warez going around. I would think that VB would recognize DPs size and offer a more polite resolution

"Pardon us shawn but it appears *website* may violate our licensing terms. Please contact a rep as soon as possible to resolve this issue."
    Banana Pup likes this.
  19. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

You need to have your own AS (Autonomous System).
    Adam Howard and erich37 like this.
  20. Digital Doctor

Seriously, who really cares about IB anyway.
    They suck.
    They suck so bad that Wikipedia has to sue them to stop their bullying tactics.
    They screw over vBulletin Germany ... for really no reason and overlook the obvious bad business aspects of that.
    They are running vBulletin into the ground at a crucial time when forum communities are under attack from Social media and blogs. IB did a horrible job of vB5 and *EVEN AFTER* Xenforo showed them what to do .... they can't release a reasonable successor to vB4 even after being shown the way ? O U C H.
    At every level IB is in SERIOUS trouble.
    This was just a funny example, on the backdrop of the sad pathetic mess that is vB / IB.
    dutchbb, System0, 0xym0r0n and 7 others like this.