Digital Services Act (DSA)

Rsync

Greetings,

As of 25th August, several big networks have begun implementing a new set of regulations to follow new Digital Services Act (DSA) Internet Regulations for Europe.

For all other websites and services, these regulations will take effect starting 17th February 2024.
Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 20.15.20.png

I believe it would be beneficial for the XenForo platform to prepare and adapt to these changes ahead of this date.

Key mandatory regulations include:
  1. Implementing broad transparency measures, with a special focus on content recommendation algorithms tailored for users.
  2. Banning targeted advertising directed at minors.
  3. Ensuring a prompt response to any illegal content reported by users.
  4. Incorporating mitigation strategies to curb the proliferation of fake news.
  5. Whenever content is removed, platforms must provide users with a clear explanation. Furthermore, users should have the right to challenge such decisions, even if they are based on the platform's general terms and conditions.

Upvote 3
I have strong words for the EU regarding the DSA, but in short, our company will not be following most of these aside from the ones that we are doing already such as number 1, 2, and 3, but the others, such as the "fake news" provision would be especially hard to implement and pretty much would go against my principles. I don't feel as we should be the arbiters of what is "fake news" or not, and I feel that this is overreach by the EU in an attempt to try to curb online speech that they don't simply like or agree with.

The EU has a strong track record of imposing these restrictions on websites and this is no different. I don't mind if Xenforo develops tools to make it easier to be in compliance, but anything around restricting content shouldn't be implemented directly into the Xenforo software.

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

I believe it would be beneficial for the XenForo platform to prepare and adapt to these changes ahead of this date.
But this is surely about the content of the site, xenForo only supplies the software and is not responsible for what we put up on the site or allow to be posted.

The EU can bite my shiny metal...
I think you needn’t worry if your site is not available in the EU so no problem.

I think you needn’t worry if your site is not available in the EU so no problem.
Without blocking (say at the CloudFlare level)... any site on the internet is "available".
Wonder how the EU residents would feel if a large majority of the sites they wanted to visit did this... If they use measures to get around the block, then they have no "right" to complain if the site doesn't comply with their nanny-state laws since the site(s) made a good faith effort to "protect" them for their awful practices.

I guess you could always post a notice saying "If you are in the EU, you are not welcome here" as well as blocking them. :unsure:

Some of these restrictions are just too much . . .

For 2, we don't even have ads atm, so no worries there.
But for 5? Can't really do that since we run a PG community and if we remove something, it's not getting restored due to the nature of our rating.

This is complete law:

The fines for non-compliance will be higher than the fines for non-compliance with the GRPD, up to 6% of the global turnover of a service provider

This is complete law:

The fines for non-compliance will be higher than the fines for non-compliance with the GRPD, up to 6% of the global turnover of a service provider

I wish them the best of luck in collecting said fines from the big number of providers that won't comply with this. 😂

However, it does appear that they're really going after the big dogs such as Google or the social media platforms with the DSA, not small forums, but it still can lead to censorship either way, albeit indirectly.

I’ve got to wonder how many forum software developers are actually concerned about this? And if so, how many are making changes to accommodate this issue.

This is typical power grabbing overreach. It's ostensibly for a good cause, like the British ULEZ scheme, but when you look at the details, it's anything but.

Thankfully, my forum is too small to matter to them, so I don't have to worry.

Last edited:
I imagine it will be a nightmare for both large platforms and their users. Considering how many times I read that these platforms are required to randomly scan against "official" databases for possible policy violations, you just know that there will be a gazillion false-positives that results in content being removed, and then these companies will have to mete out boatloads of money for systems that allow the victims of these false-positives to contest their content being taken down, which they are also now required by law to do. And then there will be a growing number of bottom feeders who hire themselves out as "trusted flaggers," looking for anything and everything they can find to report on, to justify their existence. A lot of regulations in this that are waaaay too broadly written.

Surely any non compliance will be due to the site admins, not the developers.
Leveraging software solutions can greatly simplify DSA compliance. For instance, introducing a mandatory appeal process for bans, among other features.

TikTok has recently implemented numerous software updates concerning reporting, moderation actions, and appeal mechanisms.

For instance, introducing a mandatory appeal process for bans, among other features.
Many admins wouldn’t want that though. Those that do want an appeals process can just offer it in the ban reason.

Just because there are regulations doesn’t mean the software has to force it. If I ban a spammer there is no way I’m going to allow an appeal and I would not use software that forces me to.

I would however always allow and listen to appeals from legit users who get banned.

Many admins wouldn’t want that though. Those that do want an appeals process can just offer it in the ban reason.

Just because there are regulations doesn’t mean the software has to force it. If I ban a spammer there is no way I’m going to allow an appeal and I would not use software that forces me to.

I would however always allow and listen to appeals from legit users who get banned.
EU users, now with this law, have the inherent right to appeal content deletions or account bans and to receive clear information about the reasons for such actions, regardless of the platform's general terms and conditions. This right is not subject to administrative discretion.

EU users, now with this law, have the inherent right to appeal content deletions or account bans and to receive clear information about the reasons for such actions, regardless of the platform's general terms and conditions.
And EU users have the right to be ignored also by folks in other jurisdictions. ;)

Top Bottom