Digital Point Search

Digital Point Search [Paid] 2.0.0

No permission to buy ($150.00)
The synonym search can use Princeton's WordNet database, but nobody really gives a tutorial on how to set it up properly.

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wordnet/download/current-version/

I am also interested in this, which adds phonetic searches (I've seen how some forum members try to spell things :D ):

https://github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch-analysis-phonetic

At least the latter looks easier to implement--the phonetic plugin has an installer, and from there you'd setup your mappings. This stuff is way over my head though, and I don't have any patience for coding anymore... o_O

Does this or any add-on allows for easier date-range searching? The stock XF is only "after this date", not before or a range.

No, it doesn't do anything with dates.

Interesting.
Any reason? If a forum is 8-10 years old, is there any easy way (in stock, or any add-on) for finding posts that you made in the first years?

If not, I guess I need to put something in suggestions. That's a basic thing in VBB, I think - that is, show posts older than X?

Purchase question--for future updates, are those available only with a forum subscription also? I would assume so, but wanted to check. The ability to search soft-deleted posts might be what tips us to signing up to get this add-on. :)

Interesting.
Any reason? If a forum is 8-10 years old, is there any easy way (in stock, or any add-on) for finding posts that you made in the first years?

If not, I guess I need to put something in suggestions. That's a basic thing in vBulletin, I think - that is, show posts older than X?
Never had a need for it I guess... Do you have an example of why you would want to search for something and limit it to just before a certain date? Can't think of why I would ever do that.

Purchase question--for future updates, are those available only with a forum subscription also? I would assume so, but wanted to check. The ability to search soft-deleted posts might be what tips us to signing up to get this add-on. :)
Yeah... Support and upgrades are same as the product itself (for premium members). You can keep using whatever you have without an active premium membership.

Never had a need for it I guess... Do you have an example of why you would want to search for something and limit it to just before a certain date? Can't think of why I would ever do that.

I could see using it in larger forums where, for instance, we might want to see a member's posts from early on in their membership. We have a few members now with 20,000+ posts who have been with us 10 years or more, and if we limit search results to 500 or 1000 total, we'll never reach back that far in a search. Either that, or if we could sort by date ascending as opposed to descending, that would even be helpful. A lot of our posts over the years have a lot of good information, and some terms are so common or repetitive that it is difficult to home in on a search word or phrase that will find exactly what we want.

That's just one example...

I've had the need for that before. It's usually when I'm trying to find a post that's hidden in the noise and I know approximately the date/year it was posted.

I guess you guys have way better memories than me. I can't remember anything I would be trying to search for more than a week out. Lol

I run a real estate discussion forum - much of the old discussion is still relevant and useful, even 14 years after we launched.

Sometimes you want to track down a specific old thread to link to when responding to a recently asked question - you know approximately when it was posted and want to narrow the search results.

When you review a members posts and take a break. Or when multiple staff members review the same members posts then one member can do posts up to a date while the other does posts starting from a date.
We do such reviews in relation to promotions, staff prospects, and in some cases: troublemakers.

Wow, it is amazing how the differing topics of forums create various needs...

I know I end up on your forum on old topics (which I desire) when I use google. Of course, that's relevance based, but it show the need.

Very basic example. A long term member knows that he answered certain questions and subjects then he first signed up, but now he has 8,000+ posts over 6+ years. How does he find them easily?

XF and your system, as is, basically make the improper assumption that forums are like FB (quickie current topics are of the only importance).

Edit - check the landing pages of google referrals to your site. I'd say that a lot of them are for threads difficult to find using the XF system.

I don't assume new stuff is more important. Just that old stuff isn't more important. I honestly have never used the date filtering option in XF for anything personally. If I'm searching for something, I don't care if the results I get end up being new or old as long as I get results.

In XF, they will likely ALWAYS be new with certain searches. So it's not a matter of not caring, it's a matter of being limited (by the 200 or 300 results) to only the most recent in most cases.

Let's say I was a DP member who, like many, contributed my best stuff in my first 500 or 1000 posts, but then did a lot of "I agree" and other posts for years after. A default search by member would bring up only the most recent. If the topic was broad (lots of posts), even a search by topic or keyword would not bring up the older results.

A very smart searcher may be able to use a combo of keywords and other stuff....but it's not easy. As with the real estate site mentioned, topics from 4 or even 10 years ago are likely to be perfectly relevant to a search on our board.

Do you really think that VBB (pic enclosed) has this wrong and XF is better?
Screen Shot 2013-09-27 at 1.16.01 PM.webp

No, not saying XF does it better (I also never used date filtering in vB). For *me* I guess I never cared about finding a specific old thread. So that's why I never looked into changing how the date filtering works by default in XF.

Top Bottom