1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Ocean optimal droplet size for XF

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by GliX, Dec 23, 2014.

1. GliX

GliX Active Member

Hi!

Could you advise me on what the minimum size of a droplet, forum on XenForo will work normally? I have open-source non-profit project so I would like to economize. 10$ droplet will fine for XenForo? Or minimum RAM is 2GB?

2014-12-23 17-04-42 Скриншот экрана.png

Some forum stats:
    • Discussions: 31,299
    • Members: 1,240
    • Online: ~30

2. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The $5 a month one will run a XenForo site :)

Marcus and SneakyDave like this.
  3. rainmotorsports

rainmotorsports Well-Known Member

Yup. Especially with an opcache enabled. I Benched from the 5 to 80 dollar a month plans. LoadImpact showed an NGINX/PHP5.6 setup out of the box could handle 50-75 "virtual users" with a couple hundred concurrent connections. But with MySQL tuned out to use 1/4 the memory it normally would and zend opcache installed I was getting through 250 vu/1000 concurrent connection tests without the server flinching too much.

Out of the box you can easily run out of ram. Once tuned this becomes a non issue for me. The cpu load however sucks and the opcache can help with that. Wont fit all situations equally. But its also the difference between $5 a month and $20 for the same load.

Here was my analysis of memory issues with MySQL 5.6 - http://www.rainmotorsports.com/blog/29/configuring-mysql-5-6-for-low-memory-usage/

4. Xon

Xon Well-Known Member

Once you get past memory being the bottleneck (aka MySQL + php workers), vCPUs for php workers will become the biggest limitation. Especially as CPU doesn't linearly scale on Digital Ocean plans.

5. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Try Linode, they have much faster CPU than DigitalOcean.

Xon likes this.
  6. Xon

Xon Well-Known Member

They also have better CPU scaling on their plans too.

MattW likes this.