XF 1.4 Differentiate Home Page & Forum Home

TheLaw

I want to have a home page at mysite .com/ and a forumhome page at mysite .com/forums/

So in options >> Basic Board Info

Board URL: mysite .com/forums
Index page route: forums/ (doesn't matter, removing it results in the same)
Home Page URL: mysite .com

I shouldn't have to use the index page route and it doesn't matter. The problem is that I see the home page and the forum home showing as mysite .com without the /forums/ directory being added to the URL. Now it does appear in the canonical on both the home page and the forumhome page -- but it shouldn't. The home page should be canonicalized and the URL should appear as "mysite .com" and the forumhome should be "mysite .com/forums". Unfortunately both are canonicalized using the /forums/ addition.

Ultimately I'd like to use this with a portal addon for the home page. But if I can't get this to work properly then obviously a portal for the home page won't show. This appears set up properly. What am I missing here?

Last edited:
It sounds like you have your installation in a directory called /forums/. If you don't want this in your URLs, move the installation to the route. See point 5 here on how to do this.
Thanks but actually I don't. I have the installation in the root. The URL is always the root -- www. mysite.com -- whether using the home tab or the forum tab. But on both pages it shows a canonical using the /forum/ .

Ah OK. In that case, you need to set Board URL to mysite.com. If you currently don't have a different home page then Home Page URL should be left blank, as should the Index Page Route.

So now I'm confused. I plan on using a portal add-on to create a separate home page and have the forumhome at /forums/ . According to the setup, the "Home Page URL" is supposed to be the home page of the site external to the forum -- which would be the root home page URL. By setting a Board URL, that should be the URL for the forumhome - no? What you're saying would set the forumhome to the root home page instead of at a /forums/ page.

Your board URL is where you have your forum installed. If it's in the root, then it's mysite.com.

The Home Page URL is for using home pages that aren't part of XenForo eg a static home page. Any XenForo portal add-ons are part of the board and you don't need to use Home Page URL with these.

Your board URL is where you have your forum installed. If it's in the root, then it's mysite.com.
The Home Page URL is for using home pages that aren't part of XenForo eg a static home page. Any XenForo portal add-ons are part of the board and you don't need to use Home Page URL with these.
The Forum URL is not necessarily your root. You can assign it any page you wish, which I did and now it works per the below.

If you are using my add-on, there are instructions in the resource on how to set it up.
LOL... I just sent you an email for access at the site. Thanks for following up here. I followed the directions for set up and now got it working. The index page routing was missing and removing the entry for the home page worked. It seemed that would have been obvious to have but I guess not. Thanks again, starting to look good.

Top Bottom