1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Difference between "Last Activity:" and "IP Addresses"

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by flowerpot132, Oct 19, 2015.

1. flowerpot132

flowerpot132 Formerly mugtree

So looking at a user profile in the back end. User Essential tab will show "Last activity" normally a more recent date than the last IP address log for that user.

Can you explain how this works please?

Thanks

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

An IP address is only logged there if the member submits content, such as a post.

If they just log in to browse, nothing will be logged, yet the last activity date will be recorded.

3. flowerpot132

Ah ok thanks. So what exactly constitutes content? Some users have a few IP address logs but have never posted.

4. Brogan

Post, profile post, conversation, etc.

5. flowerpot132

Likes? Resources download and ratings?

6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

An explicit login (as in, typing in the username and password) will cause it. Likes generally wouldn't.

7. flowerpot132

So how would you explain my OP. So when a user logs in it triggers an IP log? :confused:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Yes, but general browsing or picking up a new session (such as when choosing to stay logged in) will not log an entry.

9. flowerpot132

I'm confused. Does your reply @Mike not conflict with @Brogan reply, or have I misread it?

10. Brogan

If they explicitly log in then an IP address will be recorded.
    If they just visit the site and are automatically logged in due to checking the stay logged in checkbox the last time they logged in, an IP address won't be recorded.

11. flowerpot132

Ok thanks for clarifying.