Add-on Detect member using ad block, send conversation message to them

sross

I am no fan of pop-up ad block notifications. They tend to be disruptive and nagging, also they are prone to false positives, hence the incessant nagging.

I propose a mod that detects a specific member using ad block. They then get a nice conversation message where you can explain to them why this is detrimental to the website and how they can disable ad block for your site.

Once the message is sent, the member will not be nagged again about ad block.

Another option would be to wipe all notified members. This way once per month or once every 2 months you can wipe the notified list and then re-notify them again. This would be helpful if they changed computers or browsers.

Thoughts? I am willing to put in some $ if someone wants to dev this.

I did and after 20+ complaints of false positives I gave up on it. Even when I set it to not warn for long periods of time they still got false positives as some use private browsing and have other anti-tracking tools installed. It reeeealy began to irritate my users. It is not a good idea to irritate your userbase, especially paying members..

It is not a good idea to irritate your userbase, especially paying members..
You should have set the "Bypass detection" permission to Allow for the paying members user group (and any other user groups that you don't want to see the adblock message), they'd have never then got any warnings - this is not cookie-based and so it does work.

You should have set the "Bypass detection" permission to Allow for the paying members user group (and any other user groups that you don't want to see the adblock message), they'd have never then got any warnings - this is not cookie-based and so it does work.
I want all members to see the notice, even paying members. Paying members can still do the site a solid by allowing the ads to be shown.

So you want members to switch off Adblock but you don't want to nag them about it. I doubt that will work in many cases if you only warn once by conversation or only show the message every couple of months or so, many will just ignore this. Personally I'd stick with the current 'nagging' (which is only an issue for those using several computers and/or private browsing) and I'd also include the bypass permission for paying members.

Anyway, good luck with this request, I hope you have a bit of cash for this as it won't be cheap to develop. :)

I have a guy who can do it so will get in touch with him. It's more of a support issue, with several 1,000 visitors a day false positives generate much more work for me. I don't need support tickets all day saying "I disabled my ad block and it's still telling me I'm running ad block". I've actually had good success posting the odd notice on the forums asking members to disable ad block. They are a good sort and always keen to help out the site. So in my case a no nag solution is vital. Hell, as admin I got3 false positives in an hour and wasn't even running anything that should have done that. That was enough for me to disable it.

Top Bottom