XF 2.3 Detailed support for migrating off the Cloud?

nevershutup

I have a XF cloud hosting package right now, but I'm trying to migrate to self-hosting on a linux VPS server. I have a docker and nginx set up, and a backup of the forum transferred to the server for testing purposes.

However, problems start when I look at the readme that came with the backup. I.E:

HOW TO RESTORE
--------------

1. Import the sql.gz file under the db_backup directory into an empty MySQL database.
2. Upload the contents of the upload directory to the root of a clean XenForo installation.
3. Edit src/config.php and add the following line: $config['enableListeners'] = false;
4. Update src/config.php to point to your imported database.
5. Log in to your admin control panel.
6. From the Add-ons page, uninstall XenForo Cloud and any other XenForo add-on you no longer intend to use.
7. Edit src/config.php and remove the following line you added earlier: $config['enableListeners'] = false;

#1 is easy. But my questions start here;

1) What is a 'clean XenForo installation' exactly? Is it just a docker with all the required components set up, or the result of going through the installation process at /install after hosting? In other words; upload after setting up the server environment, after installing the zip, or after running the install wizard?

2) What does $config['enableListeners'] = false; do, and why is it important?

3) Is there documentation specific to transferring from a cloud host to a server host? I see lots of information here about importing data from other self-hosted instances or other similar forums, but nothing that states the steps also apply to my situation.

4) XF updated since I asked for my backup. It's now 2.3, while my backup is 2.2. Are there extra steps to importing it now?

So far I've tested a few different methods and haven't gotten very far. An import following the cloud export readme as best I can imports only some data (site banner), then the forum itself is stuck "upgrading". Meanwhile an import with importer (webui): imports only some data, (user profiles etc), but no posts or site banner. If someone who has done this before could help out; much appreciated!

What is a 'clean XenForo installation' exactly?
A fresh download of XF install files from https://xenforo.com/customers/

2) What does $config['enableListeners'] = false; do, and why is it important?
Turns off all add-ons. You don't want them active when you logon to your CP for the first time, hence step #6

Are there extra steps to importing it now?
The readme misses the step(s) where you will have to install all the add-ons that you had active when your database backup was taken. I would do this as step 6.1.

An import
You shouldn't need to do an import. Effectively, your picking up your database from XF cloud and putting it down on your new VPS. Providing your fresh install is the same version of XF as when your database was taken, and all your add-ons files have been installed, it should just work.

You shouldn't need to do an import. Effectively, your picking up your database from XF cloud and putting it down on your new VPS. Providing your fresh install is the same version of XF as when your database was taken, and all your add-ons files have been installed, it should just work.

To be clear, when I said 'import' the first time, I meant a straight copy/paste of the backup database files into the relevant folders of the new xenforo installation. I'm guessing that the issue I'm encountering (forum stuck 'upgrading') is that my backup is 2.2 while the installed XF version is 2.3. In which case, should I just get another more up-to-date backup of my cloud version and use that instead?

To be clear, when I said 'import' the first time, I meant a straight copy/paste of the backup database files into the relevant folders of the new xenforo installation. I'm guessing that the issue I'm encountering (forum stuck 'upgrading') is that my backup is 2.2 while the installed XF version is 2.3. In which case, should I just get another more up-to-date backup of my cloud version and use that instead?
Given 2.3 is still beta, you should probably have installed 2.2 on the new server, brought over the 2.2 data, tested the migrated system, then done an in place upgrade to 2.3 once you were satisfied. That's just thinking of how I would approach it but I am fairly cautious and conservative as IT pros go.

Given 2.3 is still beta, you should probably have installed 2.2 on the new server, brought over the 2.2 data, tested the migrated system, then done an in place upgrade to 2.3 once you were satisfied. That's just thinking of how I would approach it but I am fairly cautious and conservative as IT pros go.
Fair, I'll probably do so. Question; what does the 'This site is currently being upgraded, please check back later' notification actually mean in normal operation? When does it appear, what does it mean, etc?

Question; what does the 'This site is currently being upgraded, please check back later' notification actually mean in normal operation? When does it appear, what does it mean, etc?
You have different version (files vs DB) files present. Eg. your DB is for 2.2.12 and files are 2.2.13+.
You should go to /admin/install/ to complete the upgrade.
Your site is 'offline' to the public and members, they get a similar message that the site is being upgraded (et al.)

Top Bottom