Lack of interest Desktop Mode

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
With Media Queries, there is no 'easy' way to do this, except if you create a custom default style without a single media query in it.

I'm very surprised that this very important function has been overlooked. Many mobile phone these days can easily display the full site.

I can't imagine it would be difficult to disable the responsive design mode which should be user selectable.

I think you are missing the notion of what a responsive design really is. Checkout http://www.mediaqueri.es/ for a few examples. Basically, instead of creating and maintaining a full mobile and desktop style, you build something that responds to the screen width. So you define something using class "thisIsResponsive". You'll define it as such:
Code:
@media screen and (max-width: 480px) {
  .thisIsResponsive {
    width: 50px;
  }
}

@media screen and (min-width: 481px) {
  .thisIsResponsive {
    width: 300px;
  }
}

The first definition will be used if screen width is < 480px and the second one if the screen width is > 480 px. So a "View Desktop Version" isn't as 'easy' as you would think.

Thank you, King Kovifor for explaining this.

I'm sure there is a way to program xF so that the Full site can be selected by mobile phone users. I think this is an extremely important option to have.

Last edited:
Thank you, King Kovifor for explaining this.

I'm sure there is a way to program xF so that the Full site can be selected by mobile phone users. I think this is an extremely important option to have.

I does not depend on Mobile/Tablet or PC. It depends on Browser's windows size. So iPad would display it as you could see here in PC.

I think you are missing the notion of what a responsive design really is. Checkout http://www.mediaqueri.es/ for a few examples. Basically, instead of creating and maintaining a full mobile and desktop style, you build something that responds to the screen width. So you define something using class "thisIsResponsive". You'll define it as such:
Code:
@media screen and (max-width: 480px) {
  .thisIsResponsive {
    width: 50px;
  }
}

@media screen and (min-width: 481px) {
  .thisIsResponsive {
    width: 300px;
  }
}

The first definition will be used if screen width is < 480px and the second one if the screen width is > 480 px. So a "View Desktop Version" isn't as 'easy' as you would think.

So there's no way to add in a desktop_is_set variable to the js which displays the desktop version even if the width is small?

An option to enable/disable responsive at a per style level would be a good way to go.

That way you could easily create a mobile style with responsive (which has mobile view on mobile devices and desktop view on PC) and a regular style with no responsive (which shows desktop view always)

Users can select the theme which they want.

I totally get what the idea is behind responsive design.

And I want the option to see site at full width, same as desktop user.
If a member is emailing me that there's a problem with the sidebar on the main page, and I can't see it on my phone. How am I going to help?

You do like I do. Tell them you're away from the computer and will check into it soon.
Was just giving an example. Pretty much only look at websites on my phone. And one of the driving principles of XF is user choice. Why box me into a corner?

An option to enable/disable responsive at a per style level would be a good way to go.

That way you could easily create a mobile style with responsive (which has mobile view on mobile devices and desktop view on PC) and a regular style with no responsive (which shows desktop view always)

Users can select the theme which they want.

You are going to disable the advantages of Responsive. But anyway, custom styles with custom CSS/JS would absolutely could remove reponsive.

Top Bottom