Lack of interest Desktop Mode

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
It's in SP's so you can enable/disable it per style.

Hi Brogan,

Are you saying that there's a feature in the Style Properties that allows us to enable/disable the Responsive Mode? I only have the default style on my forum.

@AndyB, yes. I can only imagine its along the lines of "Enable Responsive Properties" with a checkbox. However, this'll be for all users using that style and not allow anyone to have responsive. I suggest adding a copy of your style as a child style with only this style property unchecked to remove responsiveness and allow a Desktop-only version.

Last edited:
It is exactly that.
These settings are per style, not globally.

ss-2013-05-24_11-33-30-png.46726

These settings are per style, not globally.

I guess my term of "global" is a bit incorrect here. I meant per style, but global to all users using that style. So if you set your default style to not have responsive properties it wouldn't respond for anyone.

This is fantastic news. Thank you, Mike for writing such good code.

Perhaps xenforo.com could get a new style to choose from in the Style Chooser menu in the footer to select the default style w/o responsive design so that those with mobile devices can choose the full site.

Great so now we have an answer. Make the child style with responsive turned off.
This will then let users decide how they want to see the site.

Item resolved.

So happy that we can have a style with responsive disabled. Perfect example is the resource manager. If a user comes across a problem with a modification in responsive they can get the full desktop experience. That is important. Although that would really mean if I have 5 popular styles then I would have to do this on each. I'd love to make this easier on myself and just give them a button to press to disable it for only them.

@Hornstar: I believe, there's a simple template edit (according to @Mike) that'll allow you to opt out of responsive for a specific template / application. Lemme see if I can find it.

Edit:
Yup --
You can also disable the responsive design entirely. Specific pages can also opt out of the responsive design with a <xen:container /> line.

I still think this should be a built in feature. Let users decide if they prefer to view the full desktop version of the site. Sometime people want to see how it really looks.

Top Bottom