Not a bug Description missing from the head section of the main Resources page

bzcomputers

Affected version
Main resources page missing:
1) name="description"
2) property="og:description"
3) property="twitter:description"

Edit: also missing from Resources/latest-reviews, and resource history pages

Having a page description is optional and not always worth having. Meta descriptions do very little these days for search engine optimisation and most search engines don't use them to display as snippets in search results anymore.

They're more beneficial for scraping in terms of og/twitter descriptions so that when a link is unfurled there could be a snippet that describes the page in more detail but, again, this is optional.

Sometimes we have to consider, what would the descriptions be on this page and does that add value.

In these cases, it is deemed that a description wouldn't add value. What could we say?

"Check out all of our resources here"
"An overview of all of our resources"

It would have to be something very generic like this by default. Does that add value? I think not, personally.

That's not to say that a description here wouldn't be useful on a more case-by-case basis. If this is a focal point of your site, a link you share a lot, and you want to add more information and how resources pertain to your site then you could add the description yourself.

For example, if we were to add one for this particular site that would be relevant and more useful than saying nothing or saying something generic we'd maybe say:

"XenForo resources are available for customers to expand and enhance their communities. Check out our free and paid add-ons and styles here."

And if that's something you would want to do you would just simply modify the xfrm_overview template and add your desired text in the <xf:description> tag:

HTML:
<xf:description>Cool description goes here</xf:description>

So for now, we're not going to make any changes here, but if you want to, you have the tools to do it.

@Chris D Thanks, for your explanation of why it doesn't currently exist and how to modify the template.

Might be worth adding a "Resource Manager Meta Description" to the RM options as you have for the board. I think most would use it.

And if that's something you would want to do you would just simply modify the xfrm_overview template and add your desired text in the <xf:description> tag:
Hello Chris. Is the xfrm_overview template something new since XF version 2.2.5?

When I look thru my template list...I'm not seeing it.

Thanks

Top Bottom