Lack of interest Deploy to server

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Rigel Kentaurus

When the forum starts getting a certain size, doing modification directly on the server is a no-no, so I do a test installation on my computer, do ALL my modifications, then deploy it.

Most of the times, my workload is like this:
Export style from local, import to remote
Export language from local, import to remote
Export addon 1 from local, import to remote
Export addon n from local, import to remote

Worst part is, I ALWAYS want the two of them to be synchronized, with my local being the master. My secondary administrators have instructions of NEVER ever make a template change without notifying me under the warranty that when I do updates I import the complete style and not individual templates.

(I do backups, just in case, of course)

Now, I want a MASTER export-import that does everything, meaning
Settings, Styles, Language, Addons. If my forum were wiped out I could set it up again in an instant with that.

Even better, a button that says "Deploy to", that asks for the forum URL, my admin password and some other special superadmin password, and just deploys the change to my remote forum. That would enable me to work in local and only deploy my changes to the forum when they are ready and tested. I could even have several forum instances for QA.

If it could do versioning and rollbacks, that would be a great plus, but I am not that picky

This is not only something I want, I think you would educate the community on the good part of never changing a production system but changing in a local environment, testing, then deploying. And it would make a really professional feature that I have yet to see in other systems.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
You guys don't ask for much do you ? :D

This a job description on its own :D jokes aside ... Xenforo on it's own cannot do this because it involves server configurations and so on ...the Developers must consider all servers out there which something .... hmmmm well you got the picture .. :D
Zend Server with Zend Studio are capable of doing this ... and so do IIS7 and MS Visual studio (but you need a php plugin like VS.PHP) ...etc ..

You guys don't ask for much do you ? :D

This a job description on its own :D jokes aside ... Xenforo on it's own cannot do this because it involves server configurations and so on ...the Developers must consider all servers out there which something .... hmmmm well you got the picture .. :D
Zend Server with Zend Studio are capable of doing this ... and so do IIS7 and MS Visual studio (but you need a php plugin like VS.PHP) ...etc ..

Not it doesn't
I am not asking to setup apache, php and mysql on the server. I am asking for a way to deploy to a Xenforo installation that already exists. That is completely possible. We already do export-import doing XML, this is just a wrapper over that, a controller that does a single xml with everything, and another controller that listens over an HTTPRequest for not even needing to do the upload.

I could do that with a script in curl actually.

So, yes, XenForo can do what I asked on their own, and they do not need to know anything about the server as long as a XenForo installation is up and running. You might be thinking about something else.

Not it doesn't
I am not asking to setup apache, php and mysql on the server. I am asking for a way to deploy to a Xenforo installation that already exists. That is completely possible. We already do export-import doing XML, this is just a wrapper over that, a controller that does a single xml with everything, and another controller that listens over an HTTPRequest for not even needing to do the upload.

I could do that with a script in curl actually.

So, yes, XenForo can do what I asked on their own, and they do not need to know anything about the server as long as a XenForo installation is up and running. You might be thinking about something else.

Perhaps I understood wrong I just went by " server deploy" and "synchronize" ... nonetheless Let us know how it works out when you make the script

Top Bottom