Deny Country [Deleted]

I didnt fill out anything.. This was an error created when trying to create a thread with this plugin enabled. Disabling the plugin brought the ability to create new threads back to normal..
I think that's the problem. Previous version couldn't handle error properly if "country name" field is empty.
I have updated the resource so it can handle empty "country name" field :)

Have you tried : admin > users > Banned emails ?
You can add
*.ru and *.hk

Or if it still doesn't help, you can get IP of the spammer post, and check the country name here : http://www.ip2nation.com/
And you can ban the country name using this add on :)

I didn't realize you could do that!

Me either! I wish there was a blacklist of email addresses to ban. Would be very helpful.

Should i add more place to block country?
Such as viewing forum / starting conversation / somewhere else?
Or current places for blocking is enough?

1. Can you give me a screenshot of your country setting?
2. Did the spammer pass registration / posting thread / both?
3. Can you tell me the IP of the poster & IP of the user during registration (both could be same / different).

What did you fill on "Country Name" ?

I screwed up and separated the countries with a comma instead of a semicolon. It appears to work great now. :)

Just got another Pakistan spammer that registered today. I saw them online before they had a chance to create a thread (or perhaps they couldn't). Regardless, they did successfully register. Crazy how persistent spam seems to be out of there the last few weeks.

Here is the IP:

And the screenshot of my country settings. Am I not setup correctly or is there some special something happening here?

upload_2014-11-9_22-57-12.webp

Just got another Pakistan spammer that registered today. I saw them online before they had a chance to create a thread (or perhaps they couldn't). Regardless, they did successfully register. Crazy how persistent spam seems to be out of there the last few weeks.

Here is the IP:

And the screenshot of my country settings. Am I not setup correctly or is there some special something happening here?

View attachment 88554
Your setup is fine.
What if you append "deny_country_ip=182.186.158.237" in your create thread URL?
Are you blocked?

Yep, that shows that it is blocked. I wonder how it got past registration. Regardless, this plugin has been great. October has been a non-stop stream of Pakistan spam and this is the only one that got through in the last week since I fixed the semicolons. Thank you so much.

Yep, that shows that it is blocked. I wonder how it got past registration. Regardless, this plugin has been great. October has been a non-stop stream of Pakistan spam and this is the only one that got through in the last week since I fixed the semicolons. Thank you so much.
Can you check the Pakistan user that registered in your forum from admin panel & editing the user, can you confirm that his IP during registration is 182.186.158.237 ?
(sometimes spammer registers using VPN / proxy, then posting using his real IP)

Ahhh... I think I see what happened. This particular spammer registered via Facebook. The only IP is the one listed above, but there is a linked spammer Facebook account.

Ahhh... I think I see what happened. This particular spammer registered via Facebook. The only IP is the one listed above, but there is a linked spammer Facebook account.
That could be the reason although i have not tested users registering from Facebook. :)

@semprot is it still working.. as when i tried to use it .. it seems to be not working correctly.

When Backlist option ticked and countries added - its not blocking those countries (i tried to use a VPN to check)

And when tried to un ticked the blacklist option and used countries the filed (that's whitelist i think) it block all registration.

I have also updated the GeoIP to the latest.

@semprot is it still working.. as when i tried to use it .. it seems to be not working correctly.

When Backlist option ticked and countries added - its not blocking those countries (i tried to use a VPN to check)

And when tried to un ticked the blacklist option and used countries the filed (that's whitelist i think) it block all registration.

I have also updated the GeoIP to the latest.
Yes it is still working with 1.4.6.
Can you post screenshot of your settings?

Has anyone tested this with 1.5.2? I'd like to use this but wanted to check before running down a non-supported rabbit hole ;)

Thanks!

I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on this error.
Error message showing members behind private proxy (denied new thread permissions.)
In my case the member was actually located inside the USA when the only country i have black listed is Pakistan. They dont report being aware of using any proxies..
You can try updating the geoip database first.
The IP of your visitor returns empty country from geoip lookup.
To update the geoip database, you can see the FAQ section in this resource page.

Or if you still have that problem after updating the geoip database, you can enable "Allow Empty Country". :)

I initially had success with stopping spammers from registering with this add-on, but now the same spammers have changed to signing up via a proxy.

When I check the spammers ip address at whatismyipaddress.com, it shows as a "confirmed proxy server".

Could this add-on also prevent registrations made via a proxy?

Top Bottom