• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Deny Countries From Registering

Jafo

This add-on will let you deny registrations from countries you define. The users IP is checked against a list of IP delegations. I wrote a similar mod like this for VB. This is helpful for keeping spammers from registering to your board.

Attachments

Can we also deny certain domain extensions from registering? My board is getting a lot spam registrations from .co.cc e-mail's and something like that would be extreme helpful.

Can we also deny certain domain extensions from registering? My board is getting a lot spam registrations from .co.cc e-mail's and something like that would be extreme helpful.
Yes, you can use wildcards when banning email addresses.
Check: Users » Banned Email Addresses, and enter ".co.cc" (without the quotes)

Just curious... Why would you want to ban an entire country?

There are many reasons.. I developed this originally because the forum I use this on is about a small town in upstate NY. Not a big town, not a famous town.. Chances are 99.99% of visitors to that site from RU are bots looking to post spam. Eliminating them reduces my work load. There are other reasons too. :)

For one of the sites I use to run, we were banning a lot of people from Brazil, Russia/Croatia, and China, because they were always trying to hack on the game the site was for.

After going through the ban logs for the game, and seeing several thousand different IP's from those locations (Together, not each), I decided that it was better to ban those countries to limit the amount of work that in game moderators would have to deal with.

As one of our clients stated, 99% of her fellow country people on the net were criminals and you deal with them at your own risk. For anyone who has sold online banning certain countries is almost always a very good idea. Please note I'm not going to state which countries, but they are fairly obvious if you have been about the net for any length of time.

This add-on will let you deny registrations from countries you define. The users IP is checked against a list of IP delegations. I wrote a similar mod like this for VB. This is helpful for keeping spammers from registering to your board.
Awesome.

Thanks for making & sharing this. :)

The most important country to ban is the world wide no. 2, at least according to this map: http://www.stopforumspam.com/stats/map
United States

Sorry, I can understand why someone wants to ban a country like Pakistan (never got a real user from there), but why ban whole countries in Europe like Holland? I am from Europe and I'm a long time member of more than a dozen US forums...

Why not simply use a free service like Stopforumspam and eliminate the problem? There are even free addons for Xenforo to use Stopforumspam...

Top Bottom