• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Deny Countries From Registering

Sorry, I can understand why someone wants to ban a country like Pakistan (never got a real user from there), but why ban whole countries in Europe like Holland? I am from Europe and I'm a long time member of more than a dozen US forums...
Why not simply use a free service like Stopforumspam and eliminate the problem? There are even free addons for Xenforo to use Stopforumspam...

Well in my instance, the website in question is a local forum to my area. I am willing to take the risk that nobody from Holland will want to register there. Except for maybe the 3-4 people from here who may now live in Holland, there is no real reason for anyone from there to register on my forum. Therefore, chances are Holland registrations are probably spammers.

I would not say this plugin is for every instance, but certainly applicable in some cases.

I use stopforumspam and while it does stop SOME spam, it does not stop ALL spam. Battling spam requires a multi-layered approach.

Very nice. Holland will be the first on my list to ban.
Do you get lots of spam from Holland?

It's brutal/drastic this, you're basically saying f*ck you to a whole country even legitimate users who might like your site or even already visit it on regular basis.

how does this work against banning ipv6 or more like lookup and ban after?
and what about looking at the ips macaddress

well the list isnt exactly complete because ips are being assigned and still is so the list isnt probably updated. isnt it possible to have the script autolook ALL ips and then make the script scan for any blacklisted country using google maps or dns lookup on the ip

Tried to block China. Didn't catch this IP:

Trying to update the zone file to see if that will help

Is there a way to display the denial message instead of the registration page? (right ow it shows the denial message once they hit submit.)

* NEVERMIND *

Figured out how to do this already.

sorry, am a novice regarding this:

- how often do those IP-lists getting changed or updated ?
- how old is that IP-list you are using for this add-on?

Many thanks!

Top Bottom