Lack of interest Block user from registering based on country code

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Jesepi

I would like to have support in xenforo to block visitors from specific countries from registering on my forum. Supplying a list of country codes to block at the time of registration would be wonderful.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.geoip-country-code-by-name.php

Blocking only at the time of registration would be much more lightweight on my server then adding massive blocks of addresses to my iptables configuration. I don't care if they browse my site, just the ones registering to spam need to be stopped in their tracks. Obviously proxies and whatnot can bypass this, but the bulk of the spammers hitting my site are not hiding where they are coming from.

This would require the geoip module to be installed, but I believe it is a pretty common thing to have already installed due to things like awstats using it.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
"Сonfigure nginx/apache to use it" is too bad option at all. I want to prevent registration from "spammers country" only. Nothing else. It's so easy! Xenforo disappointed me...
No other forum software offers this in the core, and if you don't want to configure nginx/apache, it would have to use a GeoIP service like tenants does. If you are happy with neither, I don't know what it is you want.

What we need is not something that blocks people from a certain country, but allows a nuanced approach, such as:

-Force new registrations from country X to be approved (which will alone cut 99% of spam from said country, without prohibiting legitimate registrations).

-A stricter rule could be: limit max registrations-per-day from X country to number n.

-An even more radical rule could be: limit max connections (per day) from X country to number n.

With rules like these, you'd have fine-grained control without ever having to resort to blocking all connections from X country. That's what many people have complained about when getting hit by spam: they want to stop the spam, but still let in the legit users, which could only be accomplished by rules such as above.

No other forum software offers this in the core, and if you don't want to configure nginx/apache, it would have to use a GeoIP service like tenants does. If you are happy with neither, I don't know what it is you want.
I can not agree with you. Xenforo was presented as a step forward in relation to other forum software. In fact, we got the ordinary forum software. Is it just me caring about spam?

I can not agree with you. Xenforo was presented as a step forward in relation to other forum software. In fact, we got the ordinary forum software. Is it just me caring about spam?

So what you are saying is that you DON'T see XenForo as a step forward? And yes, you are the ONLY person who cares about spam. We have solutions on the forum, some free, some paid, but none of those are good enough for you. So at that point, you will need to dev/create something on your own.

Lots of people have found a good solution and some of us developers modified said solutions to work even better for our needs. So if you need some above and beyond whats out there, hire a developer. Probably not the best time for hand holding around here... (at least not for another 3-4 months)

So what you are saying is that you DON'T see XenForo as a step forward? And yes, you are the ONLY person who cares about spam. We have solutions on the forum, some free, some paid, but none of those are good enough for you. So at that point, you will need to dev/create something on your own.
Please, show me at least one workable solution? Solution that works everywhere, not only in the few websites.

Lots of people have found a good solution and some of us developers modified said solutions to work even better for our needs. So if you need some above and beyond whats out there, hire a developer. Probably not the best time for hand holding around here... (at least not for another 3-4 months)
Pay for engine and then hire a developer? Great! Maybe I asked something exotic?

7 pounds + I need to create JSON service or server? LOL

There is no creation, you just point already available ones (by copying and pasting the examples I've provided)....
It already has a default JSON service set up, so it works out of the box.

But you are right, it is a paid solution. You might want to look at what options you have with your .htaccess file. If mod_Geoip / GEOIP_COUNTRY_CODE is available, then you could use that, see here: http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/mod_geoip2

You might also find this useful http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-to-block-ip-addresses-or-isps-of-certain-countries.18099/

Although, I'm feeling that you want something where you don't need to pay / or do anything... which would imply core functionality. This functionality is not in core.

Do keep in mind, this wont stop bot spam (it might reduce it). Most of the spammers using bots will be fairly savy about using proxies, blocking contries via IP address will only stop manual users that do not use proxies (that goes for the plug-in and the htaccess option).

If it is bot spam you are having troubles with, rather than blocking countries (which I would not advise), I would look at the various solutions for that:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/dealing-with-forum-spam.980/
or search the resources directly: spam (some of which are free)

There is no creation, you just point already available ones (by copying and pasting the examples I've provided)....
It already has a default JSON service set up, so it works out of the box.
I guess I did not read the description carefully. Thank you! (y)

Top Bottom