Fixed  Delete post, deletes the whole thread!!

Ajaxboy

there are 2 threads, each one has say more than 3 posts each, in one on the scenarios it had like 10 posts.

I have experienced this bug two time in two different times. I am sorry I can't provide any screenshots or anything, these two times were circumstantial and not expected at all.

This bug consist when you merge two threads, and try to delete one of the posts (the first one and the second one were at least selected to be deleted), , and it deleted the whole thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( it had like 10+ more posts on it )

I had to apologize to the members who had started these threads and it was very embarrassing to have to tell them their thread got deleted.

If you delete the parent post in a thread, you are in effect deleting the thread. That's to be expected, and working as designed.

The thread consists of: posts.
Deleting a thread is: delete first post.
Deleting a post in thread, first post: deleting the thread.

The second post doesn't "slide up" to become the first one..

Also I tried to merge 2 threads, and would always place the one of the threads at the bottom, not matter which thread I had chosen as destination. ( I tried both, destination first, and last ), split-ed them again and again for like at least 10 times, and could never get the desired post/thread to be first, ( which is the reason I tried to the delete the first few posts in the first place, otherwise I would have not need to want to delete the first posts, the problem started with the thread order destination/first post, etc )

Posts are merged based on post date.

On a related note, why don't you just soft-delete content?
That way you can always recover it.

If I had soft deleted the posts then I would have never find the bug, and if it is not a bug, it is very hmm none main-stream "design", if it will delete the whole thread, that is something I don't think anyone would expect. If they wanted to delete the whole thread they could just do so by selecting "delete thread" (or if it is the only post, it sounds about right). Usually choose to "hard delete" to avoid all the unnecessary redundant clutter or it would turn into a "bug" waiting to happen anyways, if you ever delete your "soft deletes", unless you want them to be there forever?

I mean.. delete a thread with over 15 posts, because one of the posts is deleted, just doesn't sound right.. specially if the thread was created from a merge.

Also I think there should be a truly, "destination" "source" when merging threads, and I understand the date is big factor, but if the mod chooses to one of the threads to be first, I think that is how it should be, regardless of date (could update the date of the destination alternatively), although the date order is a very strong and argument, I think the software should do what the Mods/admin wants it to do optionally, and not fall into the "design" flaws limitations. Makes sense?

How about a ... "Merge by Order, feature instead", This would get rid of all these bugs/flaws or at least having the need to go through them.

On a related note, why don't you just soft-delete content?
That way you can always recover it.
That wouldn't be a delete, would it? It just clutters your DB and it accumulates over time. Leave that to your Mods so you can restore stuff they may have been a tad to hasty or rash in deleting. Make up your mind to delete or not, and be done with it I say.

The behavior of deleting the thread when the first post is deleted is the designed behavior. If you click the "delete" link on a first post, you'll see an indication of this.

I'll leave this open to add an indication of this to the inline mod overlay (ideally only when applicable).

The behavior of deleting the thread when the first post is deleted is the designed behavior.

That is not what the the report is really, it is a flaw when "merging threads", it doesn't merge them the way it is ordered to, and would cause "motives" to want to delete posts ahead of the "truly" desired posts/thread that was merged. And as said the sort by date argument is very strong, but the admin wants certain thread to be first.

thread 1, january
thread 2, november

merge thread 1 into 2, or 2 into one

what I expect of any forum software:

thread 1's first post is from january, so it's the first post in the thread.

delete first post, thread's deleted.

thread 1 , Monday
thered 2, Tuesday

thread 1 - has information about something but the threat quality is very amateur.

thread2 - an official source starts a thread about that topic

want to merge threat 1, into thread 2.

expected: By order specified (thread 2 goes first)

Found: Can't possibly make thread 2 goes first.

Split threads and try again. ( 5 times )

Still can't possibly make thread 2 go first.

Decided to delete posts in thread one because thread 2 is not listed first.

Puff, whole thing gone. Thread 1 and thread 2 gone forever.

Thread 1 author, and thread 2 authors . What the heck happened to my thread?

Admin/mod, I am sorry the software is beat and deleted the whole thread, we apologize.

Summary,
although normally it is Okay for threads to be marge by date, this is not always the case. Would be nice to have a real "list by order" feature. In addition to the usual order by date.

Posts are always date ordered. Deleting the first post always deletes the thread. The merging doesn't really come into it (unless deleting something other than the first post deletes the thread). After the merge is done, the thread has no knowledge that it was merged.

There is no "merge order". The destination choice tells you which thread things will be merged into; with the other thread being removed.

I'd recommend that you post a suggestion about either the merge order (though I should note that this is a fundamental design) or the behavior regarding deleting the first post.

Top Bottom