XF 1.3 Default Registration Group by age

I was wondering if there was a way I could set the default Registered group to funnel my members who sign up between the ages of 13-17 into one default group, and the ones that are registered above 18 into another default group. I ask this because I don't want the users 13-17 to even know that an 18+ category exists, and I don't want the 18+ members knowing the 13-17 category exists. I got it handled with a private node earlier and allowing group permissions, but the user group promotions conflicted with the registered group and had to be stopped. Since all registered members have to go into one group, the nodes can't be hidden even with add ons that adjust their age. The members can still see the categories but it blocks them when they try and view the threads. Like I said, I don't even want them to know the categories exist.

Can't you have a two extra groups, the 13-17 and 18+ one, then have a promotion that puts people into them?

They keep the same primary.

The relevant node permissions are set to Never in the groups.

It should work :)

Liam

I tried that. Even with "Never", they can still view the category. They only get an error when trying to enter the forum. I don't want the ages to see that at all. Basically, what if someone named their thread <removed>? I don't want the 13-17 to even be able to see that, which means they need to not be able to see the category at all, which I doesn't seem possible without two separate groups for registered. The current registered, as the base, even with"never", allows them to see the category, and by extension the forum or whatever, where the latest thread was posted. They just can't entered the page where a list of the threads are. Hopefully that was clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having permissions for the categories would probably resolve that - but XenForo currently does not have that ability. Might not be a bad idea to have (I can think of several other uses for it). Check the suggestions area out and if there is not one already there I would suggest making one.

Having permissions for the categories would probably resolve that - but XenForo currently does not have that ability. Might not be a bad idea to have (I can think of several other uses for it). Check the suggestions area out and if there is not one already there I would suggest making one.

Xenforo does have category permissions... Only the view permissions do anything, but they work.

I tried that. Even with "Never", they can still view the category. They only get an error when trying to enter the forum. I don't want the ages to see that at all. Basically, what if someone named their thread <removed>? I don't want the 13-17 to even be able to see that, which means they need to not be able to see the category at all, which I doesn't seem possible without two separate groups for registered. The current registered, as the base, even with"never", allows them to see the category, and by extension the forum or whatever, where the latest thread was posted. They just can't entered the page where a list of the threads are. Hopefully that was clear.

Did you set view node to never?

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be no reason why this shouldn't work using user group promotions.

If you install User Criteria by Waindigo then this adds criteria of user's age (older or younger than).

Then set up two user group promotions, one to promote 18+ users to one group and one to promote 13-17 to another group.

For the 18+ node, set it to private and then set the view permission to Allow for the 18+ group, leaving everything else as Not Set (No). For the 13-17 group leave their permissions in the node as Not Set (No), there is no need to use Never.
For the 13-17 node, do the same thing as for the 18+ node but this time with the view permissions for 13-17 as Allow and 18+ as Not Set (No).

What you will get is newly registered members won't see either nodes until the user group promotion kicks in (it runs every hour). They'll then be promoted to the appropriate group and they will only see the node that is relevant to their age.

I do have the User Criteria already installed. Because all people are funneled into the "Registered" group, promotions mean nothing to keep them from actually seeing the node. I've done what you said already but the only thing that works is the way I mentioned it was set. It keeps them from seeing the threads, but they still see the categories.

I do have the User Criteria already installed. Because all people are funneled into the "Registered" group, promotions mean nothing to keep them from actually seeing the node. I've done what you said already but the only thing that works is the way I mentioned it was set. It keeps them from seeing the threads, but they still see the categories.
If Registered (with no secondary user group) are seeing the private nodes then you've not set things correctly. I know it works because I have private nodes that can only be seen by members of a secondary user group.

Top Bottom