Default Page Templates

Forsaken

Because a page system is included, and many people are likely to use it for the basics pages that most sites use (Staff page, privacy policy, eula, rules or whatever), I think supplying some basic page templates would be a nice feature for the page system.

Many people are already requesting a staff page, but by having it set as a template, administrators will be capable of editing it to make it more advance, but as well as having to not design everything from scratch as would be likely otherwise (Due to the current lack).

If this is already a functionality of the system, please ignore this post :)

Upvote 47
<xf: header>
<xf: navigation: path,title>
<xf: query stuff>
<xf: output stuff>
your html
<xf: footer>

If it could do just that, that be awesome :D
I mean like pre-installed templates similar to how Logician's system was, as examples.

Also, put an avatar on again, I keep thinking you're someone else.

I mean like pre-installed templates similar to how Logician's system was, as examples.

Also, put an avatar on again, I keep thinking you're someone else.

Considering Kier said that a WYSISWG won't work because of the template tags, I am sure this feature is already there :)

for example using the <xf:sidebar> etc

I think developers can build their own page types that hook into the node tree. Could be wrong.

The first idea I have is a robust Contact Us form that fields can be added and removed using a control panel.

I think developers can build their own page types that hook into the node tree. Could be wrong.

The first idea I have is a robust Contact Us form that fields can be added and removed using a control panel.
We don't really have insight into the system, but I still believe the ability to utilize shared templates would be a nice idea.

Importing and exporting of them would also be nice, as it'll making sharing them with the community much easier. 

I think that shipping xF with default buil-in templates is a fantastic idea. Logician has several "sample" pages that only require editing, and they are HUGE timesavers.
They also work as samples that you can use to make other types of pages.
He also has one sample with the left sidebar built into it that you can change the links in.

Very good idea, altho I doubt it would make it into the first release.

I'd be interested in some templates; I've got a ton of stuff I could transfer to pages which could be very labor and time-intensive if I have to start from scratch.

To expand on this, I like the idea of being able to create my own templates to use in the page... perhaps being able to give them unique template names then calling them using <xen:template> or something...

To keep to the original point - great idea! Users can modify the template as they become more familiar with the software.

Well then, if a couple of templates don't come default, perhaps some of you wonderful people would be willing to post some template code after release?
Both with and without a left side column.

eh?

Well then, if a couple of templates don't come default, perhaps some of you wonderful people would be willing to post some template code after release?
Both with and without a left side column.

eh?
Already suggested in another post by me.

There should be a page section for modifications, so we can release page templates (As you can already see they're going to be widely used). 

Yep I know it was already suggested by you. I thought it needed mentioning again. :)

I've pointed it out to Kier and Mike.

I use Logician's mod over at vB.org and it's an invaluable modification.

I would love to have preset pages (as a couple of folks mentioned) which would include pages for staff, contact us, etc. Plus, an option to select a couple of basic layouts would be killer! For example, an option with the left sidebar, another with the right sidebar and another with both sidebars. Something like that :D

Exactly !

I would add that it would be nice to be able to edit Xenforo Pages outside the AdminCP.
Thats a different suggestion; this was for page templates and the ability to import and export (later down in the topic anyways).

You'll want the topic Shanj or maybe Grover made.

Top Bottom