Default Max Responsive Width (Narrow) set to 540px

NeoCHI

Considering the rise in popularity of phablets and the new iPhone 6 plus having 1080x1920 resolution. Shouldn't Xenforo's default Max Responsive Width (Narrow) be set to 540px?

resolution-netbiscuits-050814.jpg

Considering the rise in popularity of phablets and the new iPhone 6 plus having 1080x1920 resolution. Shouldn't Xenforo's default Max Responsive Width (Narrow) be set to 540px?

I don't think it will make a difference from 480px on that device. I am not sure what the effective resolution works out to on that at 5.5 inches. But a slightly smaller device the Nexus 5 at 4.95" with a 1920x1080 screen is 640x360, 598x360 usable with the on screen controls. So 480 or 540 the site will still be narrow vertical (portrait) and still be medium horizontal (landscape). I don't think the iPhone 6 Plus will be much different. Give or take 100 pixels its still going to be in the narrow on vertical unless they are running a really weird scale.

Shouldn't Xenforo's default Max Responsive Width (Narrow) be set to 540px?
No. Firstly there are still many phones that aren't phablets, these still have to be catered for. Secondly, how websites render on phones doesn't correspond to their screen resolution. For example my Sony Xperia Z1 has a screen resolution of 1280 x 720 px but it resolves XenForo sites at 480px width in portrait. It doesn't display it at 610px Max Responsive Width (Medium) which I have set. That is down to how the browser works on phones.

By increasing it to 540px it won't effect the phones with 480px but will also make it so that phones with 540px will also be displayed with the mobile responsive look.

By increasing it to 540px it won't effect the phones with 480px but will also make it so that phones with 540px will also be displayed with the mobile responsive look.

For example my Sony Xperia Z1 has a screen resolution of 1280 x 720 px but it resolves XenForo sites at 480px width in portrait. It doesn't display it at 610px Max Responsive Width (Medium) which I have set. That is down to how the browser works on phones.

Default setting is easy to change yourself anyway.

So is there an adjustment to make on the back end of the site via responsive or what ever? At this point my main issue on landscape via the iPhone is the forum description I need to go responsive.

You can set the width in your theme. It is up to you. In landscape the phone is over 700 pixels in css width and should be the same settings as a tablet. If you adjust for the 6+ then you may end up screwing up people with 7 inch tablets with low resolutions.

You can set the width in your theme. It is up to you. In landscape the phone is over 700 pixels in css width and should be the same settings as a tablet. If you adjust for the 6+ then you may end up screwing up people with 7 inch tablets with low resolutions.
When you say "theme" aside from setting it up as I did above?

Top Bottom