1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Default Icons and transparency

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by brendanc, Sep 27, 2010.

1. brendanc

brendanc Active Member

I have a question about the default theme and icons and their transparency. Are all the icons around the forum in PNG format?

I ask because although my forums will not have a black background, they will be somewhat dark (you can look here: Candybar Heaven). One problem I've consistently had with vB is the distinct lack of any post icons or emoticons supporting dark backgrounds. They're all GIFs with a light background matte which, as you can imagine, doesn't look that great. Even my current emoticons look terrible, but we've learned to live with it for now.

So I guess my question is-- will the forums support dark themes with the default icons?

Also, what's the deal with the Create Thread page? It looks terribly inconsistent compared to the rest of the forums. Everything is right aligned.. it just feels really odd.

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Yes, the icons are all PNG with alpha transparency.

It's center aligned here. Care to make a screenshot?

3. brendanc

brendanc Active Member

For what it's worth I'm using the fixed-width layout.

It just doesn't feel up to the same level as the rest of the site. Maybe I'm crazy.

Attached Files:

4. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Forget how vbulletin do things when it comes to constructing GDK and smilies, and I suppose this can extend to other imagery. They have always had a nasty habit of matting images in a specific background colour (white) and when applied to dark backgrounds it leaves a nasty white remnant around the edges.

In short, The imagery here will be in .png format and support dark backgrounds and other background colours which won't have that infamouse white edging or other redundant matting.

Here's a little guide I wrote regarding matting and why you see redundant edging and how to counter it if gif images where used which they won't be with xenforo. You have nothing to worrry about.

5. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

The thread title box is aligned right Mike.

[​IMG]

6. brendanc

brendanc Active Member

Well, so are all the other fields. I wasn't sure if it was just a design decision or what have you. It looks odd to me.

In response to Shelley, thanks for the info. I was aware that it was the GIF format being the issue because no matte = no pseudo-antialiasing. But I am relieved to hear that all the icons here will be PNG. Makes me very happy :D