[Debate] Responsive Templates vs Mobile Skins

What is better for *YOUR* forum ?

• Total voters
Impressed how Xenforo.com now displays really well on small displays.

upload_2013-10-23_10-57-27.webp

When it gets wider it shows more

upload_2013-10-23_10-58-3.webp

At a certain width it shows the "Latest" column.

upload_2013-10-23_10-58-30.webp

and the dropdown menu thingy
upload_2013-10-23_10-59-10.webp
goes away when it is able to.

upload_2013-10-23_10-59-47.webp

Great stuff.

Document size: that's biggest disadvantage of responsive design. Server sends same document as for desktop browser, so document might be quite large. It also affects loading time if your internet connection is slow.
This is the major issue I have with responsive. I'm thinking that the best way to handle this is to create a very light mobile skin that sorta "looks" like the site when it's Responsive mobile view for phones. Not sure if it should be the same for tablets.

Why is it a major issue?

The XenForo forum home is about 500KB and most of that is static resources that are fetched once, cached and then stored locally. So in reality, I don't see at all why it would be an issue.

Why is it a major issue?

The XenForo forum home is about 500KB and most of that is static resources that are fetched once, cached and then stored locally. So in reality, I don't see at all why it would be an issue.
"It affects loading time if your internet connection is slow."

^^^That's the major issue. You think 500kb is small but wait till your browsing the internet from your phone with an area that has slow data. That's what @Russ mobile theme was perfect for.

Yet Russ's mobile theme quite possibly still loaded a lot of the static content that bumps the overall size up. Such as xenforo.js and jquery. Would need to be tested. A mobile theme no don't us lower in size but I'm just not convinced the difference is that high.

Yet Russ's mobile theme quite possibly still loaded a lot of the static content that bumps the overall size up. Such as xenforo.js and jquery. Would need to be tested. A mobile theme no don't us lower in size but I'm just not convinced the difference is that high.
While in threads, the pages loaded really fast. That's all I gotta say about that.

I think Responsive is the wave of the future. Phones are getting to have very fast internet now. The best LTE/4G can rival shoddy wired broadband. With a combination of smart CSS and javascript lazy-loading, a single design can work well on a PC, tablet, or mobile phone.

It does depend on the relevance of the content. Some sites present a lot of information that is not necessarily important or relevant on a mobile device, or should be displayed in an entirely different way.

But for forums and news sites, I think the days of "mobile skins" are probably over.

Last edited:
I've had more requests in the past couple weeks to update that old mobile style but I have no plans too. I will say this when I did remove some of the jquery, the site was ridiculously fast, broken... but fast haha :D

I like the idea responsive design but not on smart phones, for iPads, Android pads on wifi, this idea is damn good, but on smartphone, it is a totally different story, the cpu, battery, screen size, cell data speed of a smart phone are usually not as powerful as the desktop computers or pads, loading the same content which is mainly designed for a desktop computer only means kills your battery very quick and runs much slower.

Top Bottom