[Debate] Responsive Templates vs Mobile Skins

What is better for *YOUR* forum ?

• Total voters
My point was that currently the only "responsive" design I've seen (and the one I assume that encouraged this thread) doesn't do that.
It does to a certain extent (e.g. when the screen reduces to a certain width, all the nav links disappear and are replaced by a single, large "Quick Navigation" button, etc.), but yeah there are elements which don't adhere strictly to the emerging 'responsive' design ethic. Arty admits as much in his thread, as far as I recall.

I was answering the question from a broader perspective, though (i.e. if I had a choice between a perfect responsive style, or a perfect dual-style solution, I would choose the former), and wasn't thinking of Arty's style specifically. The OP doesn't mention any existing styles, so I thought he was just asking about which would be people's preferred method in a perfect world. :)

I'm using the responsive style strictly for mobile. If you run ads on your site, then you'll have issues with responsive when displaying 728x90. Also heard Google Adsense might take issue with how some ads are integrated with responsive. For now, I'm being cautious.

I personally prefer a fixed template for desktop browsing.

I still cannot find a reliable mobile detector. Trying to find a way not to have the iPad get redirected as mobile.

I'm using the responsive style strictly for mobile. If you run ads on your site, then you'll have issues with responsive when displaying 728x90. Also heard Google Adsense might take issue with how some ads are integrated with responsive. For now, I'm being cautious.

I personally prefer a fixed template for desktop browsing.

I still cannot find a reliable mobile detector. Trying to find a way not to have the iPad get redirected as mobile.

Just remove the iPad user agent string from the options. We have the mobile detector Addon working fine with Russ's mobile skin on mobiles with the iPad showing the desktop version.

DD, you just made me realize that I've never tried to grab a screenshot on a phone before....now I've got to figure out how to do that...gee thanks...LOL

DD, you just made me realize that I've never tried to grab a screenshot on a phone before....now I've got to figure out how to do that...gee thanks...LOL
iphone ? press & hold the on/off button and then quickly press the Home Button. (works great).
Android phones might have copied it.

So um.......yeah, vB5 is mobile responsive. This is a game changer. The Xen team pretty much needs to knock 1.2 out of the park now.

Link: http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/

Sorry, just came across this demo this afternoon and not sure where else to post this....Really hoping I was right that the hold up w/ 1.2 is that the dev team realized they needed to scrap mobile version and make templates fully responsive.

So um.......yeah, vB5 is mobile responsive. This is a game changer. The Xen team pretty much needs to knock 1.2 out of the park now.

Link: http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/

Sorry, just came across this demo this afternoon and not sure where else to post this....Really hoping I was right that the hold up w/ 1.2 is that the dev team realized they needed to scrap mobile version and make templates fully responsive.

Completely agree. Emphasis should be on responsive and would love to see better design. I actually like the design choices being made in vB5 and for me, that's a quite a departure from my feelings on vB4. All that being said, it's slow as dirt.

Top Bottom