Add-on Dear Developers

jmurrayhead

There has got to be at least ONE of you quality developers that will take my money in return for a couple addons.

Please contact via PC for details. Por favor. Gracias.

Better start contacting the bad list too ... ;)

There are more developers around than you might think, I'm sure someone will gladly take your money

Wouldn't matter. It seems they are all very busy with their own projects. I've contacted short list of good developers already.
There are quite a lot of shy developers (or am I the only one?) that takes on projects based on publicly available information. If you can tell the public a brief intro, devs that are interested will come along.

There are quite a lot of shy developers (or am I the only one?) that takes on projects based on publicly available information. If you can tell the public a brief intro, devs that are interested will come along.
Probably best to get over it. Not everyone wants their customized modifications that are strictly for use on their site to be available publicly.

Probably best to get over it. Not everyone wants their customized modifications that are strictly for use on their site to be available publicly.

He's not suggesting any mods done on a private basis will be released if you don't want them to be, he's just asking for some basic info so him and other developers can decide whether to contact you or not. Not sure what the issue is with that.

He's not suggesting any mods done on a private basis will be released if you don't want them to be, he's just asking for some basic info so him and other developers can decide whether to contact you or not. Not sure what the issue is with that.
Not what I was saying. I was saying that I don't want all of my ideas for custom modifications out in public. Not sure what the issue is with that.

Fair enough, you're the paying customer and set the ground rules. I'll move along and get out of your thread now :whistle:

Don't see why all you need to do is say "I am a developer" and he will spill the beans whos to say the other devs he contacted wont use those ideas in a new add-on?

Don't see why all you need to do is say "I am a developer" and he will spill the beans whos to say the other devs he contacted wont use those ideas in a new add-on?
He can choose to work with developers in private. So if random user X decides to say "I am a developer", he can choose to decide if he wants to hire him before telling him.

My experience so far, working with ~4 add-on developers on XF -

1. Developer 1 : Doesn't ask for money until project is done. Works on it for 3 months then vanishes off from the Internet :confused:

2. Developer 2: Starts working on the project by committing that he'll ask for full money when the project is over. Makes lot of progress and then becomes totally unresponsive for 2 months. I make phone calls, skype calls but no answer! Then one day pops-up and says he wants to finish off the work he started. We start the project again, he works for 1 week and then vanishes again for 1 month.

Frustrated, I find another developer. Now this 'Developer 2' pops in again and says "You *MUST* pay me for the work I've done".

3. Now this 'another developer' from #2 above, says he'll be free after several, unknown number of weeks. So I find 'yet another' developer 'locally' and then he writes to me the very next day saying he's free. I've already awarded the work to Developer 4.

4. Developer 4 works on the project without asking for money for full 4 months ---- makes 90% of the add-on; then suddenly stops answering phone calls / emails / IMs / conversations.

...and I'm still looking for a developer who'll do some magic.

:censored:

(PS: Just received a conversation from yet, yet another developer who says he'll be free after 2 months :D )

lol.

My experience:

1. Creates a request thread, gets offer from a developer to develop it, he develops it, I pay him, it gets made and eventually released in the resource manager.

I have never asked for a project that I paid for to be exclusive to my site only. I didn't even know such a practice was that common. I wonder if this is a practice that some developers prefer? I don't know. I have shared some of what developers made for me in the resource manager but only with their permission. There are also addons that developers made for me that I did not share because I did not discern from them that they wanted me to share it. So I don't share it because I don't want to step on their toes. Maybe selling that addon is a source of the way they make a living.

I have had developers and style developers cop an attitude with me because I do post so many free addons, styles or whatever. I don't want to make them my enemy and I do sorta regret sharing so much of my own stuff because I don't want to affect anyone else's way of making a living but it's too late. So now when I ask for a addon or something to be developed I usually suggest that they sell whatever it is they make for me so that they can make more money off it too. But some developers don't care either way.

I for one though am glad no one sold anything that I made for them because I have created some stuff myself for other people and I haven't seen them on here or even on pirate sites. Some customers, people, whatever are actually really trustworthy and honorable and sometimes you can only find out if they are by 1. (this is the most important here) looking at their xenforo.com post history and 2. having a private dialogue with em.

So my suggestion to all of you looking for private developers, always look at their post history.

If you are a private developer looking for work either out of boredom or your looking to make some extra money, you really need to post more often if you aren't social like that, cause not everyone will pay you for a job if they know nothing about you.

lol.

My experience:

1. Creates a request thread, gets offer from a developer to develop it, he develops it, I pay him, it gets made and eventually released in the resource manager.

I have never asked for a project that I paid for to be exclusive to my site only. I didn't even know such a practice was that common. I wonder if this is a practice that some developers prefer? I don't know. I have shared some of what developers made for me in the resource manager but only with their permission. There are also addons that developers made for me that I did not share because I did not discern from them that they wanted me to share it. So I don't share it because I don't want to step on their toes. Maybe selling that addon is a source of the way they make a living.

I have had developers and style developers cop an attitude with me because I do post so many free addons, styles or whatever. I don't want to make them my enemy and I do sorta regret sharing so much of my own stuff because I don't want to affect anyone else's way of making a living but it's too late. So now when I ask for a addon or something to be developed I usually suggest that they sell whatever it is they make for me so that they can make more money off it too. But some developers don't care either way.

I for one though am glad no one sold anything that I made for them because I have created some stuff myself for other people and I haven't seen them on here or even on pirate sites. Some customers, people, whatever are actually really trustworthy and honorable and sometimes you can only find out if they are by 1. (this is the most important here) looking at their xenforo.com post history and 2. having a private dialogue with em.

So my suggestion to all of you looking for private developers, always look at their post history.

If you are a private developer looking for work either out of boredom or your looking to make some extra money, you really need to post more often if you aren't social like that, cause not everyone will pay you for a job if they know nothing about you.

Why would any developer/styler cop an attitude with you for posting resources in the RM for free?

I know some stylers look at free based resources as beneath their feet and second rated but I doubt any free based stuff release directly affects the paid sector of xenforo.

Why would any developer/styler cop an attitude with you for posting resources in the RM for free?

I know some stylers look at free based resources as beneath their feet and second rated but I doubt any free based stuff release directly affects the paid sector of xenforo.
It doesn't bother me that much because I know that people are just really competitive that's all. What does bother is me a lil when they won't talk to me anymore cause of a perceived slight, but I'll get over it. As far as that beneath their feet stuff, there are lots of free resources and styles that are far better than some of the paid versions out there. Random *looks at what I have on my own site out of curiosity* I have 10 paid addons that are paid in the resource manager. They are unique in that there aren't really any free versions of those addons. I'm not sure what that has to do with this thread... I just woke up. :LOL:

This is actually common... Look at most of the request threads and most people will only discuss it in private.
Indeed. There are some items I want to keep private and others I don't mind sharing.
Because the devs he contacted are obviously the ones he trusts the most.
This. So much this.
<snip>

...and I'm still looking for a developer who'll do some magic.

:censored:

(PS: Just received a conversation from yet, yet another developer who says he'll be free after 2 months :D )
What a pain. One has to be very careful when choosing someone to do work like this for them. If someone doesn't complete work after going missing for a period of time, the agreement becomes null and void and they can kiss my ass if they think they are going to get any payment from me.

But hey, at least you're getting some contacts. I've shown some devs what I wanted and then never heard back from them.

What a pain. One has to be very careful when choosing someone to do work like this for them. If someone doesn't complete work after going missing for a period of time, the agreement becomes null and void and they can kiss my ass if they think they are going to get any payment from me.

But hey, at least you're getting some contacts. I've shown some devs what I wanted and then never heard back from them.

Well, we never used his code and there was no question of paying him. I'm obviously not naming anyone - but he's a reputed developer here and I continue to admire his work.

All I expected is just an update every week so that I know the project was on track. The add-on is still not complete but I'm hopeful that it will see the day of light one day.

Top Bottom