Dealing with cliques?

CTXMedia

How do you deal with cliques on your forums when one or more of them starts getting out of order and pushing things?

Especially if those people are some of your longest-term and quite valued members?

Cheers,
Shaun

I have had a few members 'gang up' and want to change the rules by force... I approached them separately and dealt with them by infractions and banning based on what each of them did.

Not only did they learn that the rules weren't optional, but that it didn't matter how many grouped together because I dealt with each member by itself.

Side story... one of these things during a spat a member PM me and told me that if things didn't change that he, and X, Y and Z were leaving and they would take 1/2 the members with them.. I explained that my site was up for my ministry and the simple fact that others got enjoyment from it severed a greater need, and that if people didn't want to be on this site they could leave.

I ended up not bending or changing the rules, he got rowdy and banned for 6 months... the others that grouped around him are still posting and active members of the site.. Go figure... :)

Jamie

That's part of the problem. Taking a heavy hand can sometimes cause problems and lose you valuable members; equally, not dealing with issues can make some people appear to be untouchable.

I suppose it's a matter of finding the right balance; I just wondered what people might have done on their own forums in the past in similar situations?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Not sure if this applies to you. But One time, I made them their own room and said "Here, knock yourselves out. This room is invite only, you can invite anyone you want in it, and its no holds barred and you can do or say whatever the f*** you want in there."

....Taking a heavy hand can sometimes cause problems and lose you valuable members....

In my opinion, it's this 'we will lose members so we should find a balance to the ones that are causing problems' one of the reason many sites never grow...

If you have people causing problems, good member or not... long timer or not... if they continue to cause problems that can put others off from joining in the discussions or even joining the site..

I have rules, they will be followed... no heavy handed approach in my opinion.. just simple color within the lines.

Jamie

In my opinion, it's this 'we will lose members so we should find a balance to the ones that are causing problems' one of the reason many sites never grow...

I agree, cliquey sites are off-putting. Plus I think cliques use this unwillingness to lose "valuable" members as part of their power-grab strategy.

Maybe you could start by taking away everyone's PC privileges - then they'll have to work harder at plotting their coup.

I give them a warning about leading by example. If the "clique" continues I put them in a special user group, regardless if they been a member for 1 month or for years; I rather have 500 active members than a half-dozen with a better than thou attitude.

Not sure if this applies to you. But One time, I made them their own room and said "Here, knock yourselves out. This room is invite only, you can invite anyone you want in it, and its no holds barred and you can do or say whatever the f*** you want in there."

Funnily enough I tried that a few years ago. I told them it wouldn't be moderated and they would be left to fend for themselves. Worst thing I ever did and I had to put it back under moderation within a few months of the "no mod" policy.

I think a firm-but-fair approach is probably best.

Like some of you have said, it's better to lose a few members than have everyone else walk off due to a selfish/cliquey few.

The problem is that they're not breaking any rules, as such, just not being as welcoming as I'd like to new people who are trying out that particular part of the forums; I suppose I need to tell them that. Be direct and ask them to be more "open". It's just finding the right "tone".

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I guess the core group of members would be considered the 'clique' and there are usually splinter groups that form within the 'core group' of members, so in many cases you should deal with members who constantly reinforce each others posts because they politically agree with each other, this can be a problem for forum administrators, I have seen it ruin forums because weak admins never take action.

Top Bottom