Dealing with bot and spam registrations

I am thinking about setting up a new forum. I have done it a few times before with free boards. But the dang bot registrations always overwhelms me and I lose interest in dealing with it. I have seen talk of integrating a "stop forum spam" feature in the next version/upgrade. But I also realize the issues with the lawsuit. I see where there is a bit of a slowdown and know the stress of fighting must be taking its toll.

So my question is what tools will I have to deals with these dang bots. My forum will be devoted to a local area (regional location). Pokin around with the demo doesn't show me much. How have others dealt with this?

I like the idea of supporting xenForo and I am confident that if they can weather this storm, this will really take off.

I am thinking about setting up a new forum. I have done it a few times before with free boards. But the dang bot registrations always overwhelms me and I lose interest in dealing with it. I have seen talk of integrating a "stop forum spam" feature in the next version/upgrade. But I also realize the issues with the lawsuit. I see where there is a bit of a slowdown and know the stress of fighting must be taking its toll.

So my question is what tools will I have to deals with these dang bots. My forum will be devoted to a local area (regional location). Pokin around with the demo doesn't show me much. How have others dealt with this?

I like the idea of supporting xenForo and I am confident that if they can weather this storm, this will really take off.

There are a few measures in place to stop bots in XenForo, such as the custom challenge questions you can pose at registration.

As for the ones which do make it through, they are swatted in 2 clicks with the spam cleaner :)

There are a few measures in place to stop bots in XenForo, such as the custom challenge questions you can pose at registration.

As for the ones which do make it through, they are swatted in 2 clicks with the spam cleaner :)

Spam cleaner merely bans them. Then you have to go into admin options & finish getting rid of them.

It would be really nice if spam cleaner would just nuke the scum and get it over with.

Top Bottom