1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DDoS attacks are stressing me, how about you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by LPH, Aug 29, 2013.

1. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

The last two weeks have been nothing but monitoring, patching, and praying. The spikes come about every 30 minutes with a flood of requests for /wp-login. All IPs but mine are denied access to the file. China and Russian Federation are blocked - which slowed down the attacks for a day or two. Today was a huge one while I was at work. :(

Is anyone else struggling with DDoS attacks?

Protection: Firewall, CSF, CloudFlare, and Trackment (and little ole me monitoring)

Reality: Down daily ...
  2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

3. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

Oh yeah - two weeks ago when it all started :)
  4. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Well-Known Member

I had a member here DDOS me awhile back. Other than that, been pretty lucky.
  5. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

I'll cross my fingers for you. Once they've latched on to thinking they can get to the /wp-login then it's been pretty rough. Luckily XS is installed and the WP accounts are not used. Too bad for the wanna-be hackers :)
  6. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

Are these DDoS attacks or simply login attempts?
  7. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

@Mike Edge handle it for me :)
    Thanks a Lot to him! (y)
    I suffered the attack almost 1 week, transferring from different server's.
    And ended up on xfhost.net
  8. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

Technically it appears to be a Brute Force attack - which are distributed - and end up overwhelming the server.
    The Forum Heroes likes this.
  9. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

Can't - love him and the idea of the service - but - my site has WordPress, XenForo, two MediaWiki and two Moodle installations.
  10. RoldanLT

Mine is only a single Xenforo Forum, but with high normal traffic.
    I know, Mike can help you.
    The Forum Heroes likes this.
  11. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

We host several sites that use WordPress or MediaWiki too.
    RoldanLT likes this.
  12. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

It's well known these attacks are happening daily. Our security firm sees them daily and our incident response team always is pouring over the data of our own site and several client sites. If you want, we can step in and add a few additional layers of security through existing plugins to minimize the chance someone successfully gaining access.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  13. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

Don't have such issues... ServInt.
    Lawrence and RoldanLT like this.
  14. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

Same here, :)
    Anthony Parsons likes this.
  15. RoldanLT

On what package?
  16. Anthony Parsons

I'm on a dedicated... though it wouldn't matter which package with ServInt... it is their setup and monitoring, not the package you go on.
    RoldanLT likes this.
  17. RoldanLT

$250+ USD / month ?
    Adam Howard likes this.
  18. Anthony Parsons

Cost has nothing to do with it...
  19. DRaver

DRaver Active Member

20. Blair

Blair Member

The most important factor in mitigating a DDoS is proxying your IP address. Services like Cloudflare and Google Pagespeed Service can do the heavy lifting for you, but if the attacker knows your server's IP, you're on your own. Cloudflare recently posted about this here: http://blog.cloudflare.com/ddos-prevention-protecting-the-origin.

You also can't beat a good host. It takes some expensive hardware, but with a good host you shouldn't even know about a small, <1GPS DDoS. They'll mitigate it before it ever hits your server.
    Anthony Parsons and RoldanLT like this.