Implemented Date should be a criteria (Notices, trophies)

Rigel Kentaurus

The notices could be used as an announcements-like feature if it had a date criteria, to only display the notice from X date to Y date.

This could also enable more creative uses for that, for example, I could give a user a trophy, only, and only, on a certain date. That way I could run some trophies as promotions (reach X posts before Y date to get it, after that no longer available)

Upvote 10
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I can see many uses for allowing times/dates to be part of the criteria.

Contest running now
Pre-sale running now
Discount limited time
Staff gone for the weekend

Ect ect...

great suggestion!

Specifically, the issue is one of "okay, so when is that then?".

Let me explain.

Let's say I provide a date/time picker, and you specify that you want a notice to appear at 9am on November 2nd.

When do you mean? You could mean any of these things:
  1. Nov 2 @ 0900 UTC
  2. Nov 2 @ 0900 in your timezone
  3. Nov 2 @0900 in the server's timezone
  4. Nov 2 @ 0900 in the current visitor's timezone
If you have a server in Texas, visitors in Europe and you are administering from Australia, an assumption of any of these timezones could have wildly varying effects upon when the notice actually shows up.

IMHO
the timezone needs to be specified as UTC, CET,... by the admin.
Forget about user-timezone, server timezone or admin-timezone.

Specifically, the issue is one of "okay, so when is that then?".

Let me explain.

Let's say I provide a date/time picker, and you specify that you want a notice to appear at 9am on November 2nd.

When do you mean? You could mean any of these things:
  1. Nov 2 @ 0900 UTC
  2. Nov 2 @ 0900 in your timezone
  3. Nov 2 @0900 in the server's timezone
  4. Nov 2 @ 0900 in the current visitor's timezone
If you have a server in Texas, visitors in Europe and you are administering from Australia, an assumption of any of these timezones could have wildly varying effects upon when the notice actually shows up.

That sounds like a really easy to solve issue considering you can ask for the timezone in the page itself, or add a legend saying that time is the admin's timezone (I think most people have in their minds their own time when setting up things). Please don't let something like that prevent you from adding that feature.

When you said technical issues I was expecting some crazy caching you could be doing with notices in the session or serialization that prevents the date from being correctly considered in some particular scenarios :) Glad to know is not like that.

Unfortunately a lot administrators don't know their UTC from their elbow, so in many instances the notice will be displayed at an incorrect time.

Unfortunately a lot administrators don't know their UTC from their elbow, so in many instances the notice will be displayed at an incorrect time.
This is trivial to solve ...
Just add a disclaimer on the page

The time is HH:mm
The UTC time is HH:mm
(this notice will be created on UTC time)

Or make a selectable option of "admin time", "user time", "UTC time" next to the date field ...
I really think that we are not discussing a hard-to-solve problem :)

Does the If no user or page criteria are specified, this notice will always be displayed phrase need to be updated to include date now?

If no user, date, or page criteria are specified, this notice will always be displayed.

Top Bottom