Database & import question

Robert F Schmitz

OK I am learning and usually after I do something once, life is good. Here is my issue and hopefully someone can assist me.

I have xenForo installed on another server than my vB installation.

I have backed up the vB database.
Created a new db on the xF server.
Imported the data from the backup to the newly created db on the xF server.
I enter the information based on the db that I created on the xF server, Username, password, db name etc.
I run the import and get the following error:

Error

The source database connection details are not correct: Access denied for user 'thelostc_cookiem'@'hosting1.us.santrex.net' (using password: YES)

It looks to me like you may have put an email in where the database user name was supposed to go.

Perhaps?

edit: when you create a database, it only creates the database. You need to
  • create database
  • create a username and passoword for the database in the cpanel (if that is what you are using).
  • Then add that username to the new database,
  • then set the permissions to ALL
But all of that needs to be done before you do the restore. So I am unclear what you may be doing unless you are putting in an email address as the user name by mistake.

That means the connection info you entered for the vBulletin database is wrong.

I see you have a CPanel server. The MySQL Server for CPanel servers is almost always localhost (as opposed to hosting1.us.santrex.net). The rest of the information (username, password, db name) can be obtained in your CPanel under the MySQL Databases section.

You just need to verify all of the correct information.

I can try the local host but when creating the db, it noted that mysql.us.santrex.net was the server info. I have the same for my vb host (also santrex). I will try localhost and see what happens.

If I leave it set to localhost I get the following error:

The source database connection details are not correct: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

OK I created a new user and password, associated that one to the db and now I get the following error so the access issue has been resolved.

The table prefix or database name is not correct.

What is the default vB table prefix? I thought, when looking at the config.php in vB, that the table prefix was blank.

Hmm. Well this is definitely a problem with the MySQL info. You can always consult with your host to verify the info.

I have a lot of experience with CPanel servers. I can take a look if you want to give me your CPanel login in a personal conversation, but that requires that you trust me. I am not official support.

I'm out for a couple hours...

Hmm. Well this is definitely a problem with the MySQL info. You can always consult with your host to verify the info.

I have a lot of experience with CPanel servers. I can take a look if you want to give me your CPanel login in a personal conversation, but that requires that you trust me. I am not official support.

I'm out for a couple hours...

Jake, I'll get you the info shortly. Feel free to poke about. Appreciate the help.

Everything else aside, I can vouch for Jake. Great guy. :)
Thanks.

OK I am learning and usually after I do something once, life is good. Here is my issue and hopefully someone can assist me.

I have xenForo installed on another server than my vB installation.

I have backed up the vB database.
Created a new db on the xF server.
Imported the data from the backup to the newly created db on the xF server.
I enter the information based on the db that I created on the xF server, Username, password, db name etc.
I run the import and get the following error:

Error

The source database connection details are not correct: Access denied for user 'thelostc_cookiem'@'hosting1.us.santrex.net' (using password: YES)

The easiest way to do this would be to transfer the vb files as well besides the db at the same server as xenforo. After importing the vb db/files, make sure to enter the right db info at the config.php file. But make sure that your import the vb db backup in the same db as where you have installed your xenforo forum. Or if you install it at another db, make sure that the db user of the xenforo forum has full access and permissions to the db of the vb. Hope it helps.

Sounds great Jake. It would be good to know further details eventually, such as about how large the database might be, if the backup was made through the vb admincp vs other methods such as mysqldump.

Update :D

I played with some of the settings in MySQL Administrator, did a fresh backup and restored to a new db. Importing the data now. I did get a server error while it was importing the PMs, restarted the import and skipped PMs as I am not really worried about those at this stage. 13000 of 31000, importing threads/posts now. Thanks Jake about pointing me towards the db issue.

Update :D

I played with some of the settings in MySQL Administrator, did a fresh backup and restored to a new db. Importing the data now. I did get a server error while it was importing the PMs, restarted the import and skipped PMs as I am not really worried about those at this stage. 13000 of 31000, importing threads/posts now. Thanks Jake about pointing me towards the db issue.
Please report back.
I made a copy of only those vB tables that I think the importer needs to keep the size smaller since I moved it from one subdomain to another, just to be on the safe side.
I'm still having problems importing PMs and forums.

Please report back.
I made a copy of only those vB tables that I think the importer needs to keep the size smaller since I moved it from one subdomain to another, just to be on the safe side.
I'm still having problems importing PMs and forums.

Rebuilding caches now. I did what you did and it didn't work. Using the full database as Jake mentioned, seems to be the trick and then you can decide to some degree what you want to import. It walks you through several options.

Rebuilding caches now. I did what you did and it didn't work. Using the full database as Jake mentioned, seems to be the trick and then you can decide to some degree what you want to import. It walks you through several options.
I know. I've done the usergroups then forums. Wait a few minutes and page not found error.
I'm hoping there are some tweaks in beta2 when it coming to importing.

Top Bottom