Database & import question

Robert F Schmitz

OK I am learning and usually after I do something once, life is good. Here is my issue and hopefully someone can assist me.

I have xenForo installed on another server than my vB installation.

I have backed up the vB database.
Created a new db on the xF server.
Imported the data from the backup to the newly created db on the xF server.
I enter the information based on the db that I created on the xF server, Username, password, db name etc.
I run the import and get the following error:

Error

The source database connection details are not correct: Access denied for user 'thelostc_cookiem'@'hosting1.us.santrex.net' (using password: YES)

Finished rebuilding caches and I am checking user permissions. Where did you get the page not found error, during the import and rebuild?
I was getting it after importing from my backup database.
I'm importing from my live database again which is still localhost, but a different account.
And for some odd reason it's importing PMs now. It stopped part way and gave me "The requested page could not be found." message.
I've only got this far once before after dozens of tries. Now I can look at the table and see what is hanging up.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but this is odd.
I import exactly 1200 PMs then "The requested page could not be found".
Continue. Now it stops at message 1600. Error.
Continue. Stops at 2000. Error.
Continue. Stops at 2400. Error.
I'll just continue.

Edit: I have 69,000 PMs to import.
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines

Reinstalled, re-imported vb4, rebuilt caches. All fine so far. Hate to rebuild the search index for fear that it will crash. Would a wise suggestion be to set the 'items to process' very low to prevent an error?

Reinstalled, re-imported vb4, rebuilt caches. All fine so far. Hate to rebuild the search index for fear that it will crash. Would a wise suggestion be to set the 'items to process' very low to prevent an error?

I would start with the default batch size of 500. You can decrease the size and start over if you get an error. It won't crash anything in the "oh darn I have to reimport" sense. The worst case is you will have to rebuild the search index again.

Like Jake said, the default should be fine. It can't really be too low, it'll just take longer. If you're worried though, you can always back the database up first. No matter what happens, so long as the backup is fine, you can re-import it if anything goes wrong. I'd recommend using mysqldump, rather than anything PHP. If you don't know how to do that, but have shell access, I've written a script here that will help you. Just chmod it, point it to your config, and run it with the backup command.

Either way, good luck. =]

Top Bottom