Database and Wordpress integration

After what seems like YEARS getting my website up and running... im finally ready to start my journey with Xenforo :)

Two noobie level questions..

1) do I need to have a seperate database for Xenforo or can I use the same MySQL DB as my Wordpress site? is it good practice to have two seperate 'platforms' residing in the same DB?

2) as Wordpress is already up and running with a few guest users already in the users table in WP, I'd like to integrate Xenforo with Wordpress - primarily just user management. Can Xenforo utilise the users table from WP?

Ideally, and im not sure if this is possible, I'd like my users to register in Wordpress, as I'll have some paid for content on the site and using a specific membership WP plugin to restrict this content, but not have to register separately for the forum area of my site.

Is that possible?

Any info on the two points above would be warmly appreciated

Thanks
Karl

1. Generally it's recommended to use different databases for different platforms, but theoretically if you were limited in the amount of databases you can create, they should be able to co-exist. All XF tables are prefixed with "xf_". This prefix cannot be changed, though.
  2. There are one or two third party WP bridges available, certainly you should be able to find one in our Resource Manager: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/bridges-integrations.17/

1. Generally it's recommended to use different databases for different platforms, but theoretically if you were limited in the amount of databases you can create, they should be able to co-exist. All XF tables are prefixed with "xf_". This prefix cannot be changed, though.
  2. There are one or two third party WP bridges available, certainly you should be able to find one in our Resource Manager: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/bridges-integrations.17/
Thank you!

I've just sent LPH a quick message to check if I'm on the right track regarding the user registration... :)

Hey Karl

1> As chris said you can use the same db, but it's better to create a new db for xenforo. There's no problem with having multiple databases (platforms as you put it) on the same server.

2> XenWord is an awesome plugin. But it uses XenForo as the registration system and not wordpress. Users will register and login through xenforo and will be copied over in wordpress. Login sessions and avatars are maintained across both.

Having said that, and having worked on numerous bridges and implementing them on many sites, I personally tell people to use two systems only if there is absolutely no way that you can do everything on the same system. Bridging two systems is always high maintenance and you will need help whenever you want something done which you think must be simple.

Top Bottom