Dang it Mike! Dang it Kier!

Lawrence

I love vB, I really do. I love how easy it is to write mods for it and to style. I didn't think there would be any forum software that could rival it.

Until now.

I'm excited.

I love how xenForo looks, how it feels. And Mike, Kier, it is your fault! :)

It lacks features at the moment, but does it matter? Look at what it offers *now* and it hasn't been released yet. Your commitment to this product is obvious, and I will say, that you have mine as well. It won't take years for this software to be acknowledged, but no more than a few months.

Who better to tear me away from vB, but the two who were it's heart and soul?

True. But look at where this forum software is *already*. TBH, a CMS, Gallery, etc., is pretty easy to code, and it will no doubt come soon. Right now, the forum is the nucleus of it all and if this site is any indication, we can all finally say we have found our forum solution.

I *used* to love vBulletin, but the changes it undergone has forced me (for my sites) to look around. There were no options; Not vB4, Not IPB, then XernForo introduced itself, and here we are. Quite exciting to see that there's a serious new player on the market that's worth considering. Let's hope the download is as promising as the alpha demo here. Which I have a feeling it will be.

If you enjoy coding and styling for vBulletin, trust me: you will enjoy it even more on XenForo, the demo we were shown looked very promising (talking about the backend and source code).

I love vB, I really do. I love how easy it is to write mods for it and to style. I didn't think there would be any forum software that could rival it.

Until now.

I'm excited.

I love how xenForo looks, how it feels. And Mike, Kier, it is your fault! :)

Who better to tear me away from vB, but the two who were it's heart and soul?
With you 100% of the way :D

Certainly vb3 was more in its time than vb4 with its flaws. XenForo in general looks very nice! There are some big things that seem to be small, but can later turn out big, too :(
  • stuff in the header that is the same, through delivered in differet links (account, username>, sign off which all elements should be under "account"). That's okay for now, but imagine lots of additional addons here .... And each navigation element is displayed multiple times here :(
  • Members tab. please, that looks like how the calendar in vb was implemented. Yes you see the members. But the members you are interested in? No. Having there a calender tab that displays all available things, too? Sorry, but that is the wrong route.
  • Mark all forums read within the thread view? No no no.
  • Facebook "Like it" on the bottom. What? First XF implements their own like it here, but then also displays another? Come on. #1 "I like this thread (xenforo mode)" and after I liked it I see #2 "I also like it in (facebook mode)". Yes. that does involve some thinking to implement it that way.
That all addresses the general view of the header. It may be a sign, that the user interface design is in alpha mode. Or that is is actively wanted so - that it is more and more looking like the cluttered vb. That said. I love all other user interface elements here!

Yep, i'm keeping my eye on this software very close, with the probably intention of moving if/when it gets CMS/portal like features added.

from a design point of view:

What customers have been screaming at IB to get right for 7+ months after 'gold' you seem to of got right in alpha!
While IB have been polishing a turd for the last 7 months you seem to of produced a produced something with more polish to it already!

I think it stands as a testament to the skill of these two developers that were a fair majority of the heart of the old vB. (shame another left for facebook but all the best to him too)

I eagerly anticipate that development of this project.

Kier and Mike certainly know how to code a forum, and they know what "was not so 100% nice" with the core vb code, so they have the experience to make it here and there better - right from the start.

Whereas vb4 coders seem to implement things in a worse way than they should.

Top Bottom