Lack of interest Kier, Mike - Please offer a simple Article System

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

jörgk

hello kier and mike,

i have a suggestion. i have testet a lot in the last weeks with wordpress and xenforo.......your forum is really the burner!
but my biggest problem is, i need a article system, in that we can add all our news. all solutions with wordpress, joomla and other cms are not good (too slow, problems with the styles for 2 systems, problems with the bridges, and and). i must not have a full cms, all what i need is a small system, in that we can set our news in different categorys..........
we write every day more as 20-25 news about different games........that is our main content.

i have learned in the last years, that it is not good-to use 3 party addons( i didnt use addons on our sites), so is my suggestion:

please offer a small system, in that we can write news in xenforo( that we have a one solution for articles and forum).

sorry for my bad english.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
there's xportal as well.
there are clearly people who respect the guy highly as a coder so it'll likely be a v good system when it's here.
downside is he's a guy with a lot on in life so there can be long gaps in getting things done.
jaxel's xenportal has more additional blocks - looks like it's been around longer to develop.

Jaxel has mentioned a few times he might make an Articles System.
Really I am not sure it would be too hard for him to do as he really has all the parts already ... just not pulled into one product.
Discuss this here.

Something with 5000+ articles you aren't talking about a simple article system, you really should be looking at a full blown CMS system and paying someone to set up bridge for you.

On the other note that's being said though, I do believe the most recent version of xenscripts bridge works with the wordpress super cache plugin.

So 5,000 plus pages in Xenforo would bog down the system? Is there a limit to how many page nodes we can have? I am going to use pages for my articles system until a CMS is built.

I am working with a developer on a secret project which will cover all this and a lot more.
It's basic component is the Article which will have XF Page properties plus bbcode. That first bit I expect very soon indeed.
But there's a whole lot more on the way which will be a CMS AND more!

I am working with a developer on a secret project which will cover all this and a lot more.
It's basic component is the Article which will have XF Page properties plus bbcode. That first bit I expect very soon indeed.
But there's a whole lot more on the way which will be a CMS AND more!

The inclusion of BBcode is a must. Also ability for commenting and pulling in user avatars, along with setting "teaser copy" to tempt people to register as a member to read the whole article. Sounds very interesting indeed!!!

So on another note, Morgain, I guess your test of ContentTeller didn't work out as planned? I was looking at that one as well, but I guess for now will be using Jaxel's xenporta and just put my articles in a forum node.

The inclusion of BBcode is a must. Also ability for commenting and pulling in user avatars, along with setting "teaser copy" to tempt people to register as a member to read the whole article. Sounds very interesting indeed!!!

BBcode - Comments - Avatars - Preview text. Yes.
Plus lots and lots more - this project is absolutely amazing. Finding it hard to keep the secret but will be more fun if we do.
I hope to be using a basic version within a week just to build up separate articles as I have a whole library on my pc ready to go.

Contentteller is good. But there's nothing like developing a project exactly the way you want it.
Plus this one is revolutionary ... oh dear ssssh.

Won't be long. The first stage will be bbcode pages/ node tree/ permissions/ ordering/ add some custom fields as you wish.
Not sure if Comments will be here this week/ next week might take a bit longer. Don't want to make promises that involve someone else's work time.
As long as you Follow me you'll get the news!

Just depends on your experience. It was a huge job to get it to match my XF - it took days. The support for customisation was awful. Even then the integration was basic.
As I said it depends on individual needs. I am building a very small but intensively social board. I guess that makes a difference.

wordpress...........have you seen the loadtime from a wordpress-site with 5000 articles+ ? or an article with with over 7000 words, in one article? forget it, wordpress is a nice system, if you write a article in one month :) all other you can forget, without caching-systems.......and if you use a caching system-no bridge is working. wp-no way for me.

i think if you add a lot of content, it is not usefull for the users.

i will look at the moment to jaxels portal..........but i think that is oldschool, to use forums for aticles.

really hard, that noone create a addon like vb-dynamics..........

sorry for my bad english!

I have 10,000 members bridged through my own wordpress theme using the paid wordpress bridge from xenscripts.com, plus streaming video, 200,000 hits on popular vids via wordpress and a forum with 300+ online at any time of the day/night, all running off 1 VPS node. I use caching & optimizations, expiry headers, gzip etc throughout my scripts and server, and wordpress is no different IF you use the right cache. Everything is in harmony.
:)
I may use one or two plugins too.
  • AdRotate
  • Akismet
  • DB Cache Reloaded Fix
  • Facebook Like
  • Facebook Open Graph Meta in WordPress
  • Select Google XML Sitemaps
  • Google XML Sitemaps
  • Jetpack by WordPress.com
  • JW Player Plugin for WordPress
  • Lightbox Plus
  • Most Popular Posts
  • SEO Killer
  • Simple Tags
  • Extended Tagging for WordPress 3.1
  • WP-PostRatings
  • WP-PostViews
  • WP Page Numbers For 3.1
  • Xenforo Integration
<!-- Generated in 0.858 seconds. Made 44 queries to database -- 33 are cached queries. Memory used - 32.12MB . F**k yeah -->

<!-- Cached by DB Cache Reloaded Fix -->

Sounds like wordpress is good for a large busy board with lower social needs and less requirement for tight integration.

I have 10,000 members bridged through my own wordpress theme using the paid wordpress bridge from xenscripts.com, plus streaming video, 200,000 hits on popular vids via wordpress and a forum with 300+ online at any time of the day/night, all running off 1 VPS node. I use caching & optimizations throughout my scripts and sever, and wordpress is no different IF you use the right cache. I may use one or two plugins too.
  • AdRotate
  • Akismet
  • DB Cache Reloaded Fix
  • Facebook Like
  • Facebook Open Graph Meta in WordPress
  • Select Google XML Sitemaps
  • Google XML Sitemaps
  • Jetpack by WordPress.com
  • JW Player Plugin for WordPress
  • Lightbox Plus
  • Most Popular Posts
  • SEO Killer
  • Simple Tags
  • Extended Tagging for WordPress 3.1
  • WP-PostRatings
  • WP-PostViews
  • WP Page Numbers For 3.1
  • Xenforo Integration

What features do you feel are missing from the xenscripts wordpress bridge? I am considering using it but would prefer to have Wordpress create the user account then sync it with Xenforo. I have a Wordpress plugin called Wishlist Member which is managing user access to content and articles so that needs to stay in main control. But I would like people to be able to log in via Wordpress then be already logged into Xenforo. And use Xenforo to manage the commenting on Wordpress. Is this what you are doing?

wordpress....have you seen the loadtime from a wordpress-site with 5000 articles+ ?
Get DOA to make you an optimized Wordpress Style & Get him to tweak your server / cache settings.
Make it pay for performance: if he doesn't fix your performance, the pay is less.
FYI, I have no idea if he's even remotely interested in that stuff. I just mention his name because he probably knows the most about Xenforo and WordPress and performance.

Sounds like wordpress is good for a large busy board with lower social needs and less requirement for tight integration.

I agree. The social ability of Wordpress is not very interactive. Yeah you can add Disqus onto it but Xenforo rocks in terms of community addiction and getting people to return again and again.

Wishlist Member.
Join xenscripts.com and ask if Wishlist Member is likely to work.
Might not as it probably has lots of cookies.

http://member.wishlistproducts.com/

integration-logos.png

Pretty good list !

On xenscripts.com ask Andy.N about what he uses for Membership options.
Andy.N worked with xenscripts to get Gravity Forms working :)

What features do you feel are missing from the xenscripts wordpress bridge? I am considering using it but would prefer to have Wordpress create the user account then sync it with Xenforo. I have a Wordpress plugin called Wishlist Member which is managing user access to content and articles so that needs to stay in main control. But I would like people to be able to log in via Wordpress then be already logged into Xenforo. And use Xenforo to manage the commenting on Wordpress. Is this what you are doing?

You should check out his website (xenscripts) for sure, as I'm pretty sure it almost does what you want. You could always ask him if it can be done anyway, he has a forum full of questions and info. The reverse login idea is cool though, I'd actually like to see that happen.
login to WordPress with your XenForo account (user authentication is entirely handled by XenForo)
  • Automatically create XenForo threads for new WordPress posts and pages
  • Store WordPress comments as thread replies on XenForo

I keep my comments from the forum and frontpage separate, just the forum username and avatar was all I required pass through to my wp comments. It does mention wp comments being passed to xenforo being possible, but I've yet to try this feature.

I would like to see it work with all caching plugins, but there is some cookie issue there or something that screws with how cached pages are shown (if caching will work at all). I use a database cache plugin, as for caching template files this is not much of a loss for me when I'm reducing the amount of queries by 2/3rds on page load. I'm pretty happy with what the paid bridge does personally, but it might not have all the features you're after right now.

I'd have to agree, but then if I was building for that I'd just go buy & hassle someone selling like dzoic handshakes to include support for xenforo boards.
Handshakes Professional includes a preset integration into most popular forums: phpBB, vBulletin, Invision Power Board.
Get DOA to make you an optimized Wordpress Style & Get him to tweak your server / cache settings.
Make it pay for performance: if he doesn't fix your performance, the pay is less.
FYI, I have no idea if he's even remotely interested in that stuff. I just mention his name because he probably knows the most about Xenforo and WordPress and performance.

This is a starting point at least. And read about opcode caching on xenforo forums. :D
http://www.intenseblog.com/wordpress/optimize-wordpress-speed.html

Top Bottom