- Developers would need to create a simple tabbed page that would be shell for our content. It would have a simple set of controls and options within the XenForo admin panel used to define what content goes in some of the basic blocks available.
- These blocks would contain simple things like latest posts, threads, sitestream, ads, news, new members, etc. And a main block for your article/blog content.
- Something similar was created for vBulletin called Pro vB. Its a paid mod that costs 40 bucks, i used it with my 3.8 install and it worked decently well.
- Here are some sites that use it... reptile canada, expang, turbobuick. Im sure the guys here could make that look much much better using the design skills shown with XenForo so far.
- Now about the content. A thread is created in the same way as always. Admins/mods click on the "Publish" button, similarly to how it works in vB.
- The post is then transformed into its own Article Page and published into the main content area.
- Article Pages would basically be a post that has had all of its forum looking attributes stripped. The formatting would automatically rearrange itself into an article mode (with maybe the option of having multiple display modes for other uses).
- Replies to the article would be done with a minimalist interface that would load in an overlay once the reader scrolled, hovered or clicked in the comments area.
- Forum users who want to reply would be redirected to the Article Page to reply there automatically. All replies would occur inside the Article Page and would then automatically merge with the original thread after an admin specified period of time.
- Image attachments within the post would also automatically know where to position themselves for optimal aesthetic value.
- The same coder that made Pro vB also made a script called Advanced Forums that does some of this. This is how one of his Article Pages looks, here is another example done differently, and this is how his Articles List looks.
- You tie the whole thing up by having some sort of Article Scroller integrated into the whole thing.
- FPSS works with vB, Wordpress, Joomla, and a number of other scripts. Its pretty good, but there are plenty of other similar solutions to this.
- Once a post was published and transformed into an Article Page, admins or mods would then have the ability to click on an "Add To Slideshow" button.
- The article would then be added to the slideshow at the top of XenHome, it would take the previously uploaded picture and re-purpose it to use there. Pro vB actually comes with a rudimentary non animated article slide show btw.
You might end up with something at least as nice as this without a lot of headaches.
The sky's the limit with how you could then upgrade the entire thing into a more fully fledged CMS... but for now it would be a very nice article server, blog platform, or front page portal.