1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Customizing URLs

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Umit, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Umit

Umit Active Member

Hi, i have a forum (vb3.7) and i'd like to switch to XF when the first beta released.

My forums URLs are like this:
    /thread234.html
    /thread234-2.html (second page)
    /forum25.html

Can I customize the URLs in XF and hold my URLs same? (include thread and forum IDs after convert)

If i cant what i asked above, how can i redirect thread234.html to showthread.php?t=234 ?

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

The URLs are not customizable to that degree. You would need to use 301 redirects using mod_rewrite to redirect to our thread structure (or vB's showthread.php structure). The IDs won't be the same across imports anyway.

3. Umit

Umit Active Member

Thank you Mike, so it is possible with htaccess.
    Can anyone help me to create the htaccess file?

forum23.html should redirect to showforum.php?t=23
    thread234.html should redirect to showthread.php?t=234
    thread234-2.html should redirect to showtread.php?t=234&page=2

4. Shadab

Shadab Well-Known Member

Mike, would these work?

Code:
    RewriteRule ^forum([0-9]+)\.html$           forumdisplay.php?f=$1       [R=301,L]
    RewriteRule ^thread([0-9]+)\.html$          showthread.php?t=$1         [R=301,L]
    RewriteRule ^thread([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?t=$1&page=$2 [R=301,L]

Umit likes this.
  5. Umit

Umit Active Member

RewriteRule ^thread([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?t=$1&page=$1 [R=301,L]

is not working properly, and redirecting to showthread.php?t=234&page=234 (thread234-2.html)

anyhelp? i need to complete this job before switch to xenforo...

6. Umit

Umit Active Member

RewriteRule ^thread([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?t=$1&page=$2 [R=301,L]
    is working now, dont know why it didnt work in my local wamp.

7. James

James Well-Known Member

Because your first rewrite rule used the same variable ($1) for the thread ID and the page number ;) Naughty Shadab!

Umit likes this.
  8. Shadab

Shadab Well-Known Member

Just an oversight on my part! Sorry. :)

Corrected in my previous post now.

Umit likes this.