• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Customizing URLs

Umit

Hi, i have a forum (vb3.7) and i'd like to switch to XF when the first beta released.

My forums URLs are like this:
/thread234.html
/thread234-2.html (second page)
/forum25.html

Can I customize the URLs in XF and hold my URLs same? (include thread and forum IDs after convert)

If i cant what i asked above, how can i redirect thread234.html to showthread.php?t=234 ?

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
The URLs are not customizable to that degree. You would need to use 301 redirects using mod_rewrite to redirect to our thread structure (or vB's showthread.php structure). The IDs won't be the same across imports anyway.

Umit

Thank you Mike, so it is possible with htaccess.
Can anyone help me to create the htaccess file?

forum23.html should redirect to showforum.php?t=23
thread234.html should redirect to showthread.php?t=234
thread234-2.html should redirect to showtread.php?t=234&page=2

Shadab

Mike, would these work?

Code:
RewriteRule ^forum([0-9]+)\.html$           forumdisplay.php?f=$1       [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^thread([0-9]+)\.html$          showthread.php?t=$1         [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^thread([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?t=$1&page=$2 [R=301,L]

Umit

RewriteRule ^thread([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?t=$1&page=$1 [R=301,L]

is not working properly, and redirecting to showthread.php?t=234&page=234 (thread234-2.html)

anyhelp? i need to complete this job before switch to xenforo...

Umit

RewriteRule ^thread([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?t=$1&page=$2 [R=301,L]
is working now, dont know why it didnt work in my local wamp.

James

RewriteRule ^thread([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?t=$1&page=$1 [R=301,L]

is not working properly, and redirecting to showthread.php?t=234&page=234 (thread234-2.html)

anyhelp? i need to complete this job before switch to xenforo...
is working now, dont know why it didnt work in my local wamp.
Because your first rewrite rule used the same variable ($1) for the thread ID and the page number ;) Naughty Shadab!